Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, your need to "upgrade" is dependant on just how much of the Kool-aid you intend to drink.

-Z

......snip........ I would not use it at 90m.

It would be interesting as to how many tech divers are hypoxic trimix certified. Not many if the number of instructors are an indication. Reg performance at that depth is something considered by a very select group.

It would be interesting as to how many tech divers are hypoxic trimix certified. Not many if the number of instructors are an indication. Reg performance at that depth is something considered by a very select group.
A decent but not exceptional reg can perform just fine at 100M with the right gas mix
An exceptional reg can perform terribly at 60m with the wrong gas mix

Depth is a poor predictor of performance compared to density

Amazing. 24 posts so far and no one has mentioned that most tec rigs/classes/instructors require DIN regs. He may need more than just another first stage. Also, if he he is going tec in sidemount, the hose routing off the the first stage is pretty important, but different than off backmount posts

He really ought to discuss this with hus tec instructor and not with a bunch of random dudes on SB based on insufficient information.

I'll add my 2 bar worth here;

IIRC these first stages only have two LP ports, correct me if I'm wrong.

In which case that's not enough IMHO.

I use Mares MR22s for single tank diving and when I went tech several years ago I bought ScubaPro Mk 25s due to their first stage configuration which is ideal for back mount doubles.

I have several LP inflator hoses on my rig taking into account double bladder wing and drysuit inflation.

Amazing. 24 posts so far and no one has mentioned that most tec rigs/classes/instructors require DIN regs.
Yep, I would not have let a student in a tech class of mine without DIN regs.

It would be interesting as to how many tech divers are hypoxic trimix certified. Not many if the number of instructors are an indication.
Re my now underlined, do you mean to imply that CCR's (used for deep diving) have reduced the need for OC trimix certs that much? I would have thought there would be a shed load of hypoxic instructors about, although not necessarily teaching a lot of classes (but still having the ability / quals / experience to do so). If not, the times they really are a changing' (well, have changed then)!

...snip.....Re my now underlined, do you mean to imply that CCR's (used for deep diving) have reduced the need for OC trimix certs that much? ....snip......)!

I hadn't meant to imply that, but it does appear that CCRs have taken over that area of diving. I've had a few offers of Mod1 included with a CCR purchase, Mod2 is shortened by having Normoxic OC, and Mod3 has to be comparable to the gas bill for Hypoxic OC at 3c/L.

It could just be an Australia issue. The US pay a lot less for helium and have 13 times the population in a barely larger geographical area. That would sustain a much bigger instructor cohort.

I hadn't meant to imply that, but it does appear that CCRs have taken over that area of diving. I've had a few offers of Mod1 included with a CCR purchase, Mod2 is shortened by having Normoxic OC, and Mod3 has to be comparable to the gas bill for Hypoxic OC at 3c/L.

It could just be an Australia issue. The US pay a lot less for helium and have 13 times the population in a barely larger geographical area. That would sustain a much bigger instructor cohort.
Also dependent on geography and where in the US. I pay closer to $0.025/ litre when in FL but the going rate in the Midwest is between 0.11 and 0.19 (yeah, on par w Chuuk and Bikini). I don’t know anyone actively teaching hypoxic mix in the Midwest and most of those individuals doing those dives on CCR are blending it themselves. Florida a different story.

I hadn't meant to imply that, but it does appear that CCRs have taken over that area of diving.

As well they should!

But I still would have (erroeously it seems) thought there would still have been some call for OC trimix certs. Just goes to show that the old adage - that a CCR will pay for itself if you are predominately using it for mixed gas /deep diving - rings true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom