Din to Yoke Fill Adapter Psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy willing to fill my tanks from the local dive team compressor, I met this morning to drop my tanks and he said they might only be able to do yoke.

My tanks are all din, and every yoke to din converter states 3000 psi. Looking for real world experience if i can get one of these and he'll be ok filling past 3K?

He's willing to fill all tanks to 3800 so they cool to 3500, just looking for real world experience.

Thanks, have a great day.

Why not simply screwing the hex plug in your DIN valve, so that a standard yoke hose can be used for filling?
This is what I do on my 15 liters Faber steel tank...
As my valve is double post, I usually leave the hex insert permanently screwed in one of the two.
So when they fill the tank they simply use the valve which fits their comprosser, without any adaptor.
However, if you have just one post, screwing in the hex insert takes less than one minute.
1262022_default.jpg

One issue is that the o'ring may extrude when exceeding 3500PSI. I have seen it happen at least twice this year when somebody connected a Yoke regulator first stage to a Yoke tank valve with 3600 PSI. Is the Yoke connector going to take this pressure, I am not sure but the o'ring extrusion is probable.

One issue is that the o'ring may extrude when exceeding 3500PSI. I have seen it happen at least twice this year when somebody connected a Yoke regulator first stage to a Yoke tank valve with 3600 PSI. Is the Yoke connector going to take this pressure, I am not sure but the o'ring extrusion is probable.
Here steel tanks are rated at 232 bars (3365 PSI) and usually hot- filled around 242 bars (3500 PSI). When using the hex insert with Yoke regulators I have effectively seen some O-ring extrusions. However this usually occurs when the O-ring is NOT 90 Shore. Unfortunately there are many O-rings which are simply too soft for withstanding these pressures. Use proper O-rings and you will be fine at 3500 PSI...

Here steel tanks are rated at 232 bars (3365 PSI) and usually hot- filled around 242 bars (3500 PSI). When using the hex insert with Yoke regulators I have effectively seen some O-ring extrusions. However this usually occurs when the O-ring is NOT 90 Shore. Unfortunately there are many O-rings which are simply too soft for withstanding these pressures. Use proper O-rings and you will be fine at 3500 PSI...

The two recent cases I saw happen in front of me were for tank valves with original valve mfg. o'ring. The OP is planning to fill to 3800 PSI/262Bar with a Yoke connector and then switch to DIN for his regulator not the other way around. The extrusion may very well happen during the fill process while using a Yoke connector. Yoke connection was NOT designed for this high pressure. Even 3500PSI is "iffy" at best.

Yes, the max nominal pressure for yoke should be 232 bars (3365 PSI).
Going to 3500 PSI is feasible using special 90-Shore O-rings (NOT the standard ones, which usually are softer).
Going beyond 3500 PSI on a yoke connection is definitely NOT recommended.

Sorry guys, was in church.

I have 4 tanks, 2 are convertable 3442, I'm not worried about these and have the insert. The others are 3500 doubles that can't take the insert (as far as I know?).

Sorry guys, was in church.

I have 4 tanks, 2 are convertable 3442, I'm not worried about these and have the insert. The others are 3500 doubles that can't take the insert (as far as I know?).

I would not use Yoke connection to fill them up to 3800 PSI. Cooling later to a lessor pressure doesn't help what can happen during the fill to 3800PSI with a Yoke connector.

So is the consensus fill to 3500 and that's max or even 3500 is pushing it?

I'm grateful for free air, so whatever he can fill to works, I was just trying to get air in the din tanks by buying a cheap adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom