Puking under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just did my first boat dive. The ride was choppy. My first dive was perfect, however, going to the second spot, I got sea sick. I puked over board and then went on the dive and was fine. However, I got me thinking.

If I was under water and got sick, should I puke in the regulator and then clear it out or would I be better to remove the regulator and puke then put regulator back in my mouth. I fear that is I puked with the regulator out of my mouth, I may have an uncontrolled inhale afterwards. Of course, with regulator in, I would probably be inhaling vomit if that was the case.

Is there any know correct way to deal with this? Anyone experienced an underwater vomit?

Barf away from the other divers, along with the current, and not into the regulator. Once you get out of the water, rinse that mouth out and think about what made you barf. Inform the other divers.
Edit: take the reg out of your mouth when you feel the vomit is coming up.
Edit 2: keep the reg half in your mouth, puke and purge
Final edit: I was stranded with full gear and a queasy stomach.

Depends on how much is coming up. A little bit you might be ok. More and shall we say 'chunkier' then I'd take the reg out. This goes back to what you ingest before the dive. Plan that carefully too.

Barf away from the other divers, along with the current, and not into the regulator. Once you get out of the water, rinse that mouth out and think about what made you barf. Inform the other divers.
Edit: take the reg out of your mouth when you feel the vomit is coming up.
Negative.
Keep the reg in your mouth, barf through it. You don't want an involuntary inhalation to happen with your reg out of your mouth. If the reg clogs, switch to your alternate while you purge and shake the primary to clear it.

NEVER take the regulator out of your mouth to puke, ALWAYS puke through the second stage ESPECIALLY when submerged underwater or on the surface with waves around you. Just in case you missed it the first time, do NOT take the regulator second stage out of your mouth to puke, keep the second stage in and puke through the second stage, never take it out at all while puking!!!

In addition to puking through the second stage, if you are submerged underwater and you are puking, stay at depth and do NOT rise up or attempt to come up to the surface until you have finished puking completely!!! if you are at the bottom, stay at the bottom and grab onto something and stay put, do NOT go up shallower under any circumstances until you have finished puking!!!!

Just did my first boat dive. The ride was choppy. My first dive was perfect, however, going to the second spot, I got sea sick. I puked over board and then went on the dive and was fine. However, I got me thinking.

If I was under water and got sick, should I puke in the regulator and then clear it out or would I be better to remove the regulator and puke then put regulator back in my mouth. I fear that is I puked with the regulator out of my mouth, I may have an uncontrolled inhale afterwards. Of course, with regulator in, I would probably be inhaling vomit if that was the case.

Is there any know correct way to deal with this? Anyone experienced an underwater vomit?
Having seen this game played... as others said, keep the reg in your mouth. There is often an uncontrolled inhale after heaving.... the reg WILL provide air. It may push some vomit that's still in the reg back into your mouth, but aside from taste, this is no different than a little water in the reg after a reg recovery.

Respectfully,

James

Just puke through your reg and purge swap to octo, purge repeat, never take reg out to vomit, wait until youve vomited and are focusing on your new found fishy friends mobbing you with much thanks for the free feed.

Let other divers know by using the sick signal and pointing to your stomach, you can add a theatrical flourish by making a fountain motion from your mouth so they have a fair idea of what your problem is. As long as you remain calm its no big deal.

If you are puking in the blue with no visible reference eg land I have helpful tips and handy hints for that too...i hate sudden onset migraines.

In addition to puking through the second stage, if you are submerged underwater and you are puking, stay at depth and do NOT rise up or attempt to come up to the surface until you have finished puking completely!!! if you are at the bottom, stay at the bottom and grab onto something and stay put, do NOT go up shallower under any circumstances until you have finished puking!!!!

As stated above, do not take your regulator out. Puke through it. If you have time when you feel it coming on, switch to your octo and puke through that, then switch back to your primary once you are done puking. FYI, the fish at our local quarry are interested in your vomit if it has hot-dogs in it, but not if it only bananas...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom