Looking for sturdy bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone. (I´m learning english. Excuse me if I make mistakes)

I Bought the older model of the MOBY 5 cressi bag. 3 months later, in the Male airport it broke (I think it was when it was carrid/unloaded from the plane). I repaired it but after 4 years it going very bad.

I´m thinking about buy a new one. The new model looks more sturdy, but it is made of plastic too.

Can you recommend me a bag (with the same or more capacity) and more solid?

Thank you

Kind regards

The eternal problem with scuba bags is that durable ones weigh too much. I don't know what airline weight limits you work with but when we were dropped from 70 lb to 50 lb it forced us into lightweight, not so durable bags. If weight doesn't affect you some of the Akona stuff is really solid.

Thank you for your answer.

I´m afraid the weight is important

I use a Stahlsac Wheeled Dive Bags: The Smuggler from Stahlsac It's light weight and small. I didn't think all my gear would fit in it when it arrived but it all fit with ease. It has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have scuba gear written all over the outside.

Rolling Thunder from The North Face or Black Hole Rolling Duffel from Patagonia. If you are strong and can forgo the wheels, get the duffel versions instead - Base Camp Duffel from The North Face or Black Hole Duffel from Patagonia. These will last you forever. I've had my rolling thunder for 15 years now and I travel a lot. I also have a lot of Base Camp Duffels. They come in different sizes.

I use the Stahlsac Curacoa. I used it for my open water dive trips to Seattle and Vancouver Island, Mexico on several cave diving trips with drysuit BP/W, fins, canister light, and I even used it for a non-dive trip to Jordan cause it's a great size bag with great wheels.

Stahlsac Curacao Clipper Bag

Thank you very much for all your answers!

My wife and I switched to a 2 wheeled duffel after many suggested it and I don't think we would go back to a more traditional checked bag. We ended up going with the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Wheeled Duffel 130L which can also be worn as a backpack. The color choices and the duffle itself makes it easy to spot at the airport. It also doesn't scream "I have expensive dive gear in me" if that is really a thing (Part of me thinks only other divers know what these brand-specific bags are). So far it has held up well.

Back
Top Bottom