Din to Yoke Fill Adapter Psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 610236 I'm not near my tanks, but here's a picture. I'm not sure what valves these are? They have the little dimple in the back for what looks like a yoke valve to go, but they are 3500 psi tanks...I've never noticed other valves.
You have 232 bars DIN/yoke convertible valves. Just screw in one of those hex plugs, and you can mount a yoke directly on the valve. No adaptor is needed.
These hex plugs cost 4 USD each.
Just use an high quality 90-shore O-ring, possibly in Viton, if you plan to fill at 3500 PSI or more, as standard yoke O-rings are rated only for 232 bars (3365 PSI).

You have 232 bars DIN/yoke convertible valves. Just screw in one of those hex plugs, and you can mount a yoke directly on the valve. No adaptor is needed.
These hex plugs cost 4 USD each.
Just use an high quality 90-shore O-ring, possibly in Viton, if you plan to fill at 3500 PSI or more, as standard yoke O-rings are rated only for 232 bars (3365 PSI).

I have some in my kit, and actually one of 4 tanks I gave to the guy to fill had one. He said he was able to fill the doubles and 1 single. I have no idea why he couldn't fill the last tank.

I think I have all the info I need. Have to see what issue he ran into and go from there. Whatever I can do to make it easier.

Thanks all!

I have seen a steel HP tank with internal yoke adapter filled to 4k without an O-ring blowout. I have seen the external fill adapter used often on DIN tanks for the same purpose.

The internal adapters that allow a yoke to be used on a convertible DIN valve, have a tendency to extrude orings more often than standard yoke valves, even when they are only used at 3,000psi.

My other complaint with the internal yoke adapters is that they tend to freeze up in the valve over time, if you do not remove them periodically & maybe apply a touch of lube. Of course, the lube must be compatible with the high pressure gas you plan to use. It is possible to use the inserts with no lube, if you remove them & clean them often enough or accept that they will become permanently installed over time.

As was said, 90-duro o-rings are more suitable for use with 3,000+ psi, rather than the more common 70 or 60-duro o-rings. The softer o-rings seal better at lower pressures, but extrude more easily at higher pressures. The O-rings that you find at a hardware store are typically around 60-duro.

Duro, in this case, is the Shore A durometer scale for measuring hardness of materials such as common types of rubber. There are also other durometer scales, such as D, which would produce different numbers for the same material.

Common o-ring materials such as Neoprene, Nitrile, Buna & many other rubbers, are compatible with air at typical SCUBA pressures, assuming proper hardness. O-rings of a single material are typically available in a variety of hardness, but often are common only in a single hardness. The hard ones usually need to be special ordered from industrial suppliers in bulk, or purchased from dive shops in small quantities. Packages of 100 are common in industry.

Viton is normally specified for use with enriched air mixtures. High pressure, high oxygen content & hydrocarbons can be an explosive combination. The problem is exacerbated when pressure is applied quickly, such as when someone opens a valve quickly. Just because it didn't blow up the last time you did it, doesn't mean that it will not blow up the next time. Use of proper materials with high oxygen content is important.

To put that all in a nutshell, Mr. Farina's suggestion of using 90-duro Viton o-rings on the tank valve, is your best choice.

@PBcatfish lube is NOT recommended for those inserts. The threads are exposed to water and any lube in there will only serve to attract salt/sand/debris/etc. These lock over time when they are not removed for cleaning and should be removed after EVERY dive when in salt water to thoroughly rinse the inside of the valve outlet as well as the insert itself as part of the gear soaking/rinsing process.

@PBcatfish lube is NOT recommended for those inserts. The threads are exposed to water and any lube in there will only serve to attract salt/sand/debris/etc. These lock over time when they are not removed for cleaning and should be removed after EVERY dive when in salt water to thoroughly rinse the inside of the valve outlet as well as the insert itself as part of the gear soaking/rinsing process.
Mine have been gently lubed with O2 safe lube. They are typically removed for detailed cleaning after about 20-30 salt water dives. They get a fresh water rinse at the dock & again in the fill tank, after each dive. I have not had problems yet. I did not know that lube was discouraged in that area.

In general, I find standard yoke valves easier to maintain, compared to DIN valves, due to the tendency for the threads on the DIN fittings to get crudded up. If I were to design a replacement for the current DIN configuration, the O-ring would be outside the threads.

@PBcatfish if you aren't partial pressure blending, there is no reason for the O2 safe lube, but realistically it is just a waste of money and makes keeping them cleaned more of a hassle. Wouldn't bother.

Yoke valves are far better than DIN valves for filling, maintenance, durability, etc. but that's a different discussion.

So the end result was he had an adapter that fit in the din (as have been posted in this thread) and was able to fill all 4 tanks. Which was awesome, I've offered pizza, beer, different meal, hold hands, spoon, and I can't get him to take anything and he said he didn't mind at all. Very cool friend of a friend. I owe him, just not sure what yet.

@PBcatfish lube is NOT recommended for those inserts.

I've put a very small layer of lube on the threads, but I don't dive salt (actually I don't think any of my tanks have seen salt since purchased). I guess I'll stop doing that. All the 3442 valves that had the insert were pretty hard to get out, so that's why I added a touch of lube. And by touch I mean just a dab.

The dive shop I use for my fills use these din-to-yoke fill adapters. They fill my tanks to 3,800-4,000 every fill. They’ve never had an issue. I get 4-6 HP tanks filled a month. In excess of 100 HP fills over the last 2+ years. Their fill adapters have never had any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom