DIY Tank tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The easy way I did it was to use my partners treadmill, I had been complaining about it taking up space in my workshop.
A couple of lengths of inch RHS with some threaded rod and some rollerblade/scooter wheels worked a treat. Just have a leash running off the front tying to the legs of the treadmill.
Simple if you happen to have a useless treadmill taking up space.

I made a tumbler in 2010 or thereabouts. This is the mostly completed project. It ended up being a fairly expensive project, that I modeled off of the tumbler that Global was selling at the time. The 80/20 is nice because it offers adjustable widths for the rollers. It works well.View attachment 5808138 View attachment 580814

Nice!

The easy way I did it was to use my partners treadmill, I had been complaining about it taking up space in my workshop.
A couple of lengths of inch RHS with some threaded rod and some rollerblade/scooter wheels worked a treat. Just have a leash running off the front tying to the legs of the treadmill.
Simple if you happen to have a useless treadmill taking up space.

Magnificent!

I started with just a treadmill but wore out the base and belt. Then took base off treadmill and put wheels on drive bar. Then just built and entire new one with treadmill motor and control.
Link to my website.

and a pic of the final build. Here it’s hanging on my workshop wall in storage position. The picture should have been rotated as the right side is actually down.
The rollers are skate board wheels secured to the bar, with the bar on bearing ends.
m_IMG_3869.JPG

I made this one last year. I used plywood for the base because that was what was lying around my shop. The gear motor came from Ebay, and the shaft, drive rollers, and bearings from McMaster. I used office chair wheels for the support rollers, and I can adjust the position of the support rollers via the slots you see in the shot of the underside. It runs very quiet and smooth. Its a bit heavy, but it will handle any size tank I have, up to two 8" diameter steels. Because it is adjustable, I can also tumble 5 1/4" tanks or any combination thereof.

IMG_3710.jpg IMG_3709.jpg IMG_3708.jpg

I used a cement mixer to tumble mine. I shoved wood and towels around the tank to center it and it worked well. I used dawn dish soap, 1/2 tank of water and 16 oz of aluminum oxide. Rinsed it out with cut of hose stuck up inside and then after it was clean used hot water for final rinse, then blast with clean air to quick dry. It did take some time but came out good.

I made a tumbler in 2010 or thereabouts. This is the mostly completed project. It ended up being a fairly expensive project, that I modeled off of the tumbler that Global was selling at the time. The 80/20 is nice because it offers adjustable widths for the rollers. It works well.View attachment 5808138 View attachment 580814
Working on building my own tank roller and using your design as a guide. What is the center/ drive shaft with the rubber coating called? I've tried searching everywhere on McMaster and Amazon with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Working on building my own tank roller and using your design as a guide. What is the center/ drive shaft with the rubber coating called? I've tried searching everywhere on McMaster and Amazon with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
My DIY tumbler has a similar setup used for the drive shaft. I took a piece of iron gas pipe and found some rubber hose with an id that fit snuggly around the pipe. Everything was sourced from the Lowes and has worked great for about 10 years. I hope this helps.

I think it was a feed roller for a printing press. I think I still have some of it, but shipping would be cost prohibitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom