Puking under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From this thread it seems a serious enough topic to at least be mentioned in OW course.

I would have thought something this important would be taught in OW class.

We teach how to handle vomiting in NAUI's openwater diver course as part of "dealing with Diving Situations (NUISANCES)" in chapter 7, Problem Solving. I cover how to deal with motion sickness and vomiting while diving in addition to dealing with several other situations/nuisances that can happen while diving (or before and after)

You should have taken a NAUI course to get better and more complete training, NAUI the QUALITY Difference for sure :p

You should have taken a NAUI course to get better and more complete training, NAUI the QUALITY Difference for sure
It was covered in my PADI course at the turn of the century. It's also been taught in every NASE, SNSI, NAUI, SDI OW course I have ever been a part of. So has mal d'mare, barotraumas, DCS, envenomations, sunburns and not to pee on jellyfish stings. There's a lot of info thrown at an OW student. It's kind of ridiculous to expect them to remember everything. That's why we have ScubaBoard!

It was covered in my PADI course at the turn of the century. It's also been taught in every NASE, SNSI, NAUI, SDI OW course I have ever been a part of. So has mal d'mare, barotraumas, DCS, envenomations, sunburns and not to pee on jellyfish stings. There's a lot of info thrown at an OW student. It's kind of ridiculous to expect them to remember everything. That's why we have ScubaBoard!

Is it part of the standards and mentioned specifically in the agencies' outline, in NAUI it is. A whole long chapter on various dive difficult situations and how to handle them. The parts about the various types of barotrauma, DCS, etc. have their respective chapters with a lot more details than the non-NAUI agencies you mention (and others you don't mention). Marine life and various types of marine life injuries have their own chapter and are covered in detail more than what I have seen with other agencies. Just FYI, I have instructor certifications from several other agencies in addition to NAUI and know what the others have or don't have. I have chosen to teach NAUI primarily because it is a much more complete system that encourages the instructor to exceed the standards. The NAUI textbook for the openwater level is by far the most complete and comprehensive textbook I have read compared with others in the recreational market. Again, I can teach for any of the other agencies (it will be easier to do because they require less) but I chose NAUI because it is the "Quality Difference" for sure.

Certainly no need for ScubaBoard for NAUI students and program graduates for they have their respective textbooks as references with all of the information they need in this context.

@BurhanMuntasser the "Quality Difference" for sure is the instructor(s)
I was certified by NASDS the two instructors were top notch and taught us a lot over the 12 week course, and with 2 pool hours twice a week for the last 6 weeks, they made us practice/drill, over and over and over....

@BurhanMuntasser the "Quality Difference" for sure is the instructor(s)

Absolutely but the standards and the "orientation" of the agency sets the stage and the "minimum" expected. If the agency sets the bar low, then that is where you will be starting from when if it were high, you will start high already.

Is it part of the standards and mentioned specifically in the agencies' outline, in NAUI it is.
It was in my PADI manual.
I chose NAUI because
of brand loyalty. There's just not much difference agency to agency. There's a huge difference instructor to instructor, even within the same agency. No agency has adequate quality control, so choose your instructor wisely. Personally, I would not base my decision on how an instructor pukes under water.

Lest anyone be deceived: no agency certifies any diver. What you learn and how you learn is is entirely up to the instructor. Ergo, a class is only as good as the instructor that is teaching it. I was a NAUI instructor and left them because I didn't like their 'quality' and felt that they stopped being a leader in the industry. The reason I like online learning for academics is that everyone is given a considerably more standard knowledge base. No, instructor egos don't get stroked this way, so there's a lot of opposition to it. They don't get to play 'sage on the stage' or beguile you with tales of daring do. They'll do enough of that in the pool and on the boat ride out to the check out dives.

I do wonder how many times @BurhanMuntasser has puked underwater? How many different ways has he tried? People can get so focused on the proper way to do something having never had to do in real life. Those of us who've had to puke, and even fewer who have done on multiple occasions know it's really no big deal. I've never had an inkling to gasp in air after I've puked on the hard or in the water. We're getting all worked up over pretty much nothing.

I've told this story before, but I had been hired to guide a family in the Keys one afternoon many years ago. A bunch of ScubaBoarders had come down for the morning dives on the Speigle Grove and the Benwood. It was a tad rough, but it seemed that I was only nauseous on the bottom, not on the boat. While we were tucked under the bow of the Benwood, I puked and I was engulfed by yellowtails. On the way over the side of that wreck, I puked again and boy did those stupid fish love it. I shook my head and headed to the dive boat. I don't need this and I ended my dive.

On the boat, I was feeling horrible. There was no surge below when I puked, so I was pretty confident I was getting sick. I called my significant other to tell her to cancel the afternoon guide but no can do. There was no one available to replace me and she met me at the dock with all sorts of remedies for flu, mal d'mare and what have you. I helped the family on the boat and to get all their stuff together and did my best to be cheerful. Once we splashed though, I felt the world start to spin. 5 or so minutes into the dive, I really became disoriented so I grabbed a big rock, spit out my reg, tucked my chin into my chest and let her rip under me. As bad as the yellowtails were on the Benwood, they were worse here. I rinsed out my mouth, put my reg in as fish engulfed me, swatting me with their tails and I tried to act like nothing happened. Yes, I was trying to keep the family from seeing me be sick as I felt it was the professional thing to do. A few minutes later, and I had to find another boulder to grab and the feeding frenzy was on once more. I repeated this at least a half a dozen times and never once wanted to spew through my reg. The family was agog when we got on the boat as they described all the fish around me. Me? I wanted to rid the reef of yellowtails at this point. I resented those bastards. The second dive was just as bad. When I got to dry heaving, I just wanted to die. But I didn't. Boy did I hate those yellowtails.

At the dock, I did my best to work through the fog that had descended on me and helped the family pack their gear and leave the rental stuff... and then the guy gave me the biggest tip I've ever gotten for a single afternoon of diving. He called me the "fish whisperer" and was amazed at how I would stop and pray and then they would swarm all over me. No, they never knew I was sick as a dog. They never saw the puke. I had kept my contract in spite of feeling like crap. I don't recommend it.

I still resent those yellowtails!

My PADI OW manual was 2005. To save me looking it up, does anyone know where puking was mentioned in their own PADI manual? Not important, just wondering if I never noticed it in mine.

It was in my PADI manual.

My PADI OW manual was 2005. To save me looking it up, does anyone know where puking was mentioned in their own PADI manual? Not important, just wondering if I never noticed it in mine.

I am unable to locate any reference to underwater vomiting in any PADI material at any level of any vintage, including Training Bulletins since 1994.

I certainly remember the big deal they made about it. Maybe it was my instructor after all. That's over 20 years ago when I was first presented with that diving industry myth along with the concept that a mask on my forehead was a sure sign of distress. There's a lot of crap taught as gospel and it's hard for some to simply let go of it. It's like some instructors getting all bent out of shape that I don't make my students kneel during class. It really upsets them when I inform that it's not that I don't make them kneel: I won't let them kneel, stand or lie on the bottom. Someone apparently thought that this was a big, big deal when they wrote it. It wasn't then and it's not now. I would rather not fill up my student's head with such apocryphal crud when there's real stuff to remember. Students shouldn't be afraid to take the reg out of their mask.

You guys are missing the real issue. Puke however you like, but the real trick, is avoiding the cloud of drifting puke from your buddy. At deco. In a cave. Only thing worse I could think of, being downstream from a full warhammer maneuver.

I guess in a cave on deco, you are kind of screwed (unless there is decent flow).

You had to mention the warhammer manoeuvre didn't you? For the uninitiated, a search of this forum with that as the topic will illuminate you - be warned though, what has been seen can never be unseen.

Back
Top Bottom