Peeing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally never needed to pee while on a dive ( I make sure I go prior to suiting up and normally can last for hours without peeing anyway) but if you need to "let it go , let it go"
then do so. I have been out with groups where I seemingly was the only one that didn't pee while diving. In the UK, it is seen as a reasonably good way to stay warm if you are a wetsuit diver - not so good an idea if you are a drysuit diver (without P valve).

Anyone that would pee on board while not either using the head or going sternside should never use a boat again. It is the equivalent of peeing in someones' car.

Oh and I bet you now have the frozen theme running round your head :nyah:
Agree about never peeing on a boat. I took charters with an op with no head on the boat (in Florida, not timbuktu). Even I, with my bladder problem, managed to hold it on the trips out & back to shore, though quite painful. And of course I peed right before exiting the water-- while right by the ladder. I suppose you could pee over the side, but that would be hard for the ladies. Now this was in "winter" on the panhandle. But when the boat goes out regularly in summer (more than the once or so a month in Jan.), what do patrons do about #2? Always wondered that. Since many of the locals probably still wear wetsuits in 75-80F water, I suppose warhammers do occur.
A reputable dive op (and they are) with no head on board may be asking for trouble....
I think they may have since upgraded to a new boat.

Well, I can tell you that I’ve had people “relieve” themselves on my boat in the past. I’ve had wetsuit divers pee in their suits before they get in the water and let in run down their leg and out onto the deck, and I had a drysuit guy decide to pee through the cath and let it go out on the deck. They figured it would go into the bilge and get pumped out anyway, but it was still gross and rude IMO.
Underwater I’m not sure. I guess just make sure you’re down current and let er rip.

I submit that any continent adult who thinks it is okay to pee on deck like this must be deficient in numerous other aspects of their life.

I swim over to my wife and hold her closely when I pee. It took her years to figure out that I wasn't being romantic, I was peeing.
The warmth of true love washes over both of you.

@Neilwood did mention this.

In the UK when using hard boats (which have heads), the general rule is that Men pee over the stern, leaving the heads free for the ladies, or for "number 2's".
Women avert their eyes when men are looking over the stern....

On a recent trip, one of the dive groups 'partner', was stood on the harbour wall taking photo's as we left. There was a group of individuals stood on the stern, waiting until we where out of sight of the harbour! (Although one of the ladies did say the partner would need a very good lens to see anything.)

RIB's are a different matter. I do know of individuals wedging themselves between the outboards to relive themselves, both male and female. Or, alternately swimming ashore to use the 'facilities'. Generally in pairs, (especially when wearing drysuits).

You really should hydrate well before and after diving; so if you don’t need to pee during the dive, you didn’t hydrate enough before.

Peeing on the boat is just nasty. But once I’m in the water and break the seal, it’s just a long series of peeing at different velocities.

@Neilwood did mention this.
. Or, alternately swimming ashore to use the 'facilities'. Generally in pairs, (especially when wearing drysuits).

Reminds me of the woman I read about on SB years ago who had the warhammer wearing a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom