Hello From Victoria BC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to scubaboard!

if your ever in the Interior (Kelowna) and looking to go on a dive then let me know! I don’t get to the Island as much as I should but I am hoping to this summer/fall.

I must say that I have always had an interest in Funeral directing/embalming. A very interesting and fascinating line of work.

Welcome again!

Hello, The_Goat,

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Which diving sites do you visit in Kelowna.

I just may take you up on your offer. When on the mainland, which I am regularly, I often have the time, but don't take advantage of the opportunity, I should consider changing that.

Again, thank you so very much.

Rose

Hello, The_Goat,

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Which diving sites do you visit in Kelowna.

I just may take you up on your offer. When on the mainland, which I am regularly, I often have the time, but don't take advantage of the opportunity, I should consider changing that.

Again, thank you so very much.

Rose

Hi Rose,

the following link has some of our local dive sites listed.

Scuba Diving | Lake Okanagan | Things to Do in Kelowna

Thanks
Dave

Hi Rose,

the following link has some of our local dive sites listed.

Scuba Diving | Lake Okanagan | Things to Do in Kelowna

Thanks
Dave

Thanks Dave, that's wonderful.

Suzie and I sailed Lake Okanagan, that's a wonderful spot, the resorts and lodges are fantastic, not to mention the local wineries, if you can't get tipsy on wine in that area, you're not trying hard enough.

Funny, I thought of that area as a boating, resorting area, somehow scuba diving the Okanagan never entered my thoughts.

Is the local scuba community large, or on the small side, and what about local dive operations? I'll Google and see what I can find.

It's been a very busy week, I haven't been home since Sunday. both of my own operations have a small but very comfortable ''stay over quarters'', saves me a literal ton on hotel expenses. they are available to all of our staff, full en-suite bathroom, king size bed, coffee, micro wave, full fridge, monster flat screen TV, my home away from home.

My new apprentice is excellent, and the staff where she has been assigned love her. I hired her officially yesterday, wow, does she know her stuff, and only second year, if she elects to stay with our Corporation, she will make an excellent future partner.

I'm soon off to the ferry, mask in hand, looking forward to my large gin and tonic, and toasted hoagie. My car has just been brought back from being cleaned, detailed, looking forward to this weekends R&R.

LOL,

Rose

Glad to see another Canadian here :)

You may see a lot of Prairie divers like me headed west this winter instead of our usual southern destinations. Always wanted to dive BC in the winter but always got distracted by the Caribbean :wink: This year may be the time that I get to head west.

From what I gather it could be a very busy winter tourist wise on the BC mainland and on the island as many Snowbirds turn their paths towards BC.

Glad to see another Canadian here :)

You may see a lot of Prairie divers like me headed west this winter instead of our usual southern destinations. Always wanted to dive BC in the winter but always got distracted by the Caribbean :wink: This year may be the time that I get to head west.

From what I gather it could be a very busy winter tourist wise on the BC mainland and on the island as many Snowbirds turn their paths towards BC.

Hi CanadaDan,

I do most of my diving in the winter.

You are correct, a lot of Canadians will be taking advantage of what Canada has to offer, probably for some time to come.

With the pandemic, slow and easy will help keep us all safe and healthy.

Thank you for the welcome.

Rose

This is one of my nearby diving locations. If you are ever in the area let me know.

Pavilion Lake - Wikipedia

This is one of my nearby diving locations. If you are ever in the area let me know.

Pavilion Lake - Wikipedia

Hi spc751,

Thank you so much,

I will for sure.

I'm making up a binder with all the info you guys are so kindly providing.

With the pandemic so badly curtailing international travel, we are finally going to get an opportunity to see what our own country really looks like, and it's a beauty!

I'm on the ferry every week, and never stop being totally amazed.

LOL

Rose

The Okanagan is a special place for sure. It is a beautiful place to spend the summer on/in the water.

The wineries are a whole other story... the food and are top notch... too bad COVID has slowed down some the awesome events...

the dive community fluctuates in size. Some years there are quite a few divers and other years just a handful.

There are three dive shops between Kelowna and West Kelowna.
West Kelowna is home to Serpent Aquatics. Very nice small shop and the owners are great to talk too.
Kelowna is home to Diving Dynamics and Innerspace water sports. Diving Dynamics is a great shop and also has a commercial diving program. This is the shop I use for all my air fills.

Innerspace is also a nice shop but is a multi sport retail store. They have limited gear in stock at the Kelowna store but will transfer gear down from their main store in Vernon.

I hope you enjoyed your r&r.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's wonderful.

Suzie and I sailed Lake Okanagan, that's a wonderful spot, the resorts and lodges are fantastic, not to mention the local wineries, if you can't get tipsy on wine in that area, you're not trying hard enough.

Funny, I thought of that area as a boating, resorting area, somehow scuba diving the Okanagan never entered my thoughts.

Is the local scuba community large, or on the small side, and what about local dive operations? I'll Google and see what I can find.

It's been a very busy week, I haven't been home since Sunday. both of my own operations have a small but very comfortable ''stay over quarters'', saves me a literal ton on hotel expenses. they are available to all of our staff, full en-suite bathroom, king size bed, coffee, micro wave, full fridge, monster flat screen TV, my home away from home.

My new apprentice is excellent, and the staff where she has been assigned love her. I hired her officially yesterday, wow, does she know her stuff, and only second year, if she elects to stay with our Corporation, she will make an excellent future partner.

I'm soon off to the ferry, mask in hand, looking forward to my large gin and tonic, and toasted hoagie. My car has just been brought back from being cleaned, detailed, looking forward to this weekends R&R.

LOL,

Rose

The Okanagan is a special place for sure. It is a beautiful place to spend the summer on/in the water.

The wineries are a whole other story... the food and are top notch... too bad COVID has slowed down some the awesome events...

the dive community fluctuates in size. Some years there are quite a few divers and other years just a handful.

There are three dive shops between Kelowna and West Kelowna.
West Kelowna is home to Serpent Aquatics. Very nice small shop and the owners are great to talk too.
Kelowna is home to Diving Dynamics and Innerspace water sports. Diving Dynamics is a great shop and also has a commercial diving program. This is the shop I use for all my air fills.

Innerspace is also a nice shop but is a multi sport retail store. They have limited gear in stock at the Kelowna store but will transfer gear down from their main store in Vernon.

I hope you enjoyed your r&r.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did, thank you very much.

I had staff meetings today regarding vacations, and no one wants to take any.

Between the pandemic and employment uncertainty, I fully understand why, but having said that, everyone, no matter how much you love your job, needs time away from it.

So what I've convinced everyone into doing in the interim is taking extended weekends, Fridays, Mondays.

Death does not take holidays, but I have my staffing needs set up to cover all eventualities regardless of the day of the week, and in all my years, I've yet to be turned down by a staff member, when the question was asked, I know it's your day off, but can you come in. This was the primary reason for building my ''stay over'' rooms into my two operations. My housekeeping contractor is notified when the rooms have been used, to clean, change bedding, replenish supplies on an as needed basis. I stay over regularly, sometimes because its so much easier than getting back to the Island for one night.

I haven't done it yet, but I will google the operators you have provided me and put their information in my binder.

Thank you so very much,

Rose

Hi Rose,
I saw your posts on the 'rebreather replace solenoid' thread and was curious to see another BC person.

Sounds like you are in Victoria. I'm up-island near Nanaimo.

I go diving every Sunday from shore around here. Mostly Maple Bay or Chemainus, where I've spend a few years exploring the four sunken dry docks.

I dive either a big steel tank (120cf) or a rebreather, depending on the dive. I have a Prism Topaz, which pre-dates a lot of the rebreathers you find here on SB now. I love it. I also use a Piranna 1 (P1) scooter to make the trips to the dry docks a little quicker, but you can swim them all easily.

I have done a bit of diving down Victoria way, but really can't stand driving over the Malahat anymore, so say more local (to me).

Anyway, welcome.
-R

Back
Top Bottom