Snacking Between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do primarily shore diving. Under one of the seats of my truck lives a shopping bag that I keep stocked with a large variety of non-perishables. Some salty, some sweet, some meaty, some carby, because I never know what I'll be in the mood for (jerky, salted and unsalted nuts, chocolate, crackers, chocolate, dried fruit, gummy worms, etc). I also like to bring along some fresh fruit like apples or bananas. One of my dive buddies often brings deli sandwich ingredients, for which I am always very grateful, but usually can't be arsed to do myself.

Boat diving is another story, because not making a mess, taking up too much space, or just irritating others becomes a bigger concern. I like to make a small stack of peanut butter + jelly + nutella sandwiches. Because it's easy on the stomach, somewhat nutritious, cheap (so you can bring twice as much as you think you need), and you won't be too sad if they get smushed under some dive gear. And it hits the spot.

A bar and trail mix has always been my go-to, they are easy to pack and travel.

usually take one or two of the following: oranges, mandarins, one big pineapple (share with others), banana, and sometimes a ham/cheese sandwich. I pick them up early at the local market and this way support local economy

...peanut butter + jelly + nutella sandwiches.

Hyperglycemic toxicity should probably be added to your risk assessment in your dive plan.

Just funnin’, brother.

The anti-banana thing is fascinating. It's a much more recent invention than most seafaring superstitions. People who believe in it seem to take it very seriously, while ignoring older more traditional bad luck omens. Guess it's just the continuing evolution of the culture.

The people who take it seriously tend to have no grasp of seafaring history at all.

Previously my dive day food tended toward many sports bars (ProBars) through the day. A few of them are fine, but a day of them is too much.

Lately I use a small water bottle with rice baby cereal and a bit of date syrup in it as a light shake. Easily absorbed and hydrating. Particularly for the SI. Plus I can tailor the mix, even with a bit of protein. It can also be mixed very thick and substantial.

Strawberries and bananas are great as well, though less filling.

On my own boat I always have a bag with a mixture of raisins, peanuts, almonds, and small pretzels, along with two 2-liter bottles of ice which gradually melt and become my drinking water. I usually have an orange, apple, or other fruit on hand depending on the season.

I bring a bottle of water and my bag of snack stuff when I dive off of friends’ boats and usually bring something more substantial to share. If diving with hunters, I’m always to glad to help consume any sashimi or ceviche that may present itself.

I bring a bottle of water and my bag of snack stuff when I dive with commercial operations too, and it is while aboard these boats that I consume the vast majority of the junk food that I allow myself. I have a particular fondness for Cheetos as upon finishing the “food”, the the residual atomic orange powder makes for a particularly lurid eye shadow.

So how about snacking during dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom