Sola 1200 S/F opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD'

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, to anyone using the Sola 1200 S/F, what are your thoughts and opinions? I am looking at it for a primary recreational light and am a little concerned with the 500 lumens spot not being bright enough

I think there are a lot better ways to spend $300 on a dive light...
If you search through some of my threads you'll find a lot of information on backup lights, batteries, chargers, and goodman socks.

I love mine, picked it up on sale at Leisure Pro for $168.99. I have been diving since the 80's and 500 Lumens is much brighter than any of the lights we used in the 80's and 90's. If you are diving in open water I personally feel as if some of the new lights are actually too bright and disturb marine life too much and usually use mine on the lowest setting.

I love mine, picked it up on sale at Leisure Pro for $168.99. I have been diving since the 80's and 500 Lumens is much brighter than any of the lights we used in the 80's and 90's. If you are diving in open water I personally feel as if some of the new lights are actually too bright and disturb marine life too much and usually use mine on the lowest setting.

comparable to 10w HID's for reference.

I (unfortunately) own one. It's actually a nice light, but WAY overpriced. I wouldn't buy one again.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any cordless light where I can't swap out the battery for a freshly charged one.

If you want spot and flood capability, I would suggest buying 2 lights. You can get a decent spot and a decent flood for less than the price of one L&M Sola.

I have been using the Xtar D26 Whale for several years now as my primary cordless and they have been great. Had one of them at 300' last weekend and it worked perfectly, as usual.

XTAR WHALE-W D26W L2 U2 (warm light) Diving Flashlight

Looks like you can get them on eBay for about $70. Plus batteries and a charger.

If you REALLY want a combo spot/flood, the Xtar D36 5800 is really bright and has a long burn time. 4200 lumen flood and 1600 lumen spot. Run them together for 5800 lumens. I have one. For what it is, it is pretty awesome. I just don't typically use it because it's very fat and it has a proprietary battery pack (of which I don't have a spare). Having the flood light part is kinda nice to turn on Med or Low during night dives. It feels like you're illuminating the whole reef all at once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom