Cruiseshippers return when??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that the world grinding to a halt, or the peasants sharpening their implements to turn them on the nobility?

Reactions: Doc
In a just world, the cruise ships would never return.

And the locals would have a higher standard of living supported by scuba divers without cruise passengers.

I am willing to share something that isn't even mine. A lot of people enjoy cruise ships. I am looking forward to a time when everyone can have fun again.

I know it's fun but there are far better ways to enjoy an island without dumping plastic and bottles and condoms over the side while you go from island to island. I dove in Curacao right underneath the cruise ship ports and what I found down there was horrid. Crystal clear water and trash f****** everywhere

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a cruise ship passenger would need to eject a condom overboard. Determining the provenance of trash can be difficult.

And the locals would have a higher standard of living supported by scuba divers without cruise passengers.

I am not convinced that cruise passenger contributions to the island are a net positive.

Do either @Jcp2, @DaveC or anyone know of any peer reviewed studies that support your positions? If so, I would love to read them.
I love diving beautiful reefs as much as any diver, but it is hard for me to think that cruise ships would not be brought in to so many countries throughout the world if they were not a significant booster for the local economies. Just look at the number of jewelry stores in every Caribbean port. Ever wonder how many divers are buying expensive baubles for their significant others compared to cruise ship paxs? That is just one example.

My comment was made in sarcasm. Cruise passenger income is clearly much more important than scuba in many places.

My comment was made in sarcasm. Cruise passenger income is clearly much more important than scuba in many places.

My apologies to you, @Jcp2. During the last four years, I have become so accustomed to seeing and hearing illogical and assinine things that people should know are false and not based in fact or reason, that my sarcasm detector has been short circuited.

Do either @Jcp2, @DaveC or anyone know of any peer reviewed studies that support your positions? If so, I would love to read them.
I love diving beautiful reefs as much as any diver, but it is hard for me to think that cruise ships would not be brought in to so many countries throughout the world if they were not a significant booster for the local economies. Just look at the number of jewelry stores in every Caribbean port. Ever wonder how many divers are buying expensive baubles for their significant others compared to cruise ship paxs? That is just one example.

By far and away the jewelry stores are owned by the cruise companies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom