American is giving me 11 minutes to connect in DFW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m pretty shocked the hotel kept your money - sad really. You’ve stayed there before, come at least once a year - bad business on their part..... I know you want to help them out and all but even in this tough time, that can just shoot them in the foot...

How much did they keep?

Sorry you had such a saga @DandyDon i can understand you just throwing the towel in after all of that hassle.

I guess the only pertinent question ref the hotel is ‘what was the cancellation policy’ ? I always find it odd that people seem to think hotels operators etc should just take the hit and pay for people not showing up in any situation..

obviously you had a rough go of it here, but I still don’t understand people’s (* not yours) attitude of ‘I didn’t fulfill my part of our agreement, so I want you to pay for that’ philosophy.....

hopefully you can make it back to coz soon and all will be right with the world :)

How much did they keep?

@DandyDon - it looked like they charged him two nights and possibly two more - Mary Carmen was the hotel.

I understand keeping the first night, that's pretty common policy but most I think allow cancelling before some set time.

How much did they keep?
Not that much. It's a cheap hotel that I otherwise enjoy (the last time my daughter and soninlaw had a cruise stop there, they stopped in to see the courtyard turtles). I had used Hotels.com Rewards for one night, then with all of the flight changes I had a two night reservation before that night and a six night reservation after, so they charged me $67 on the two nights, kept whatever the hotels get on Rewards plus $8 on that one, but I got the six night reservation canceled before it became nonrefundable. If I was busy otherwise, I wouldn't cry about the losses, but I'm not much and took trip insurance so I'd like a receipt so I can file.

Sorry you had such a saga @DandyDon i can understand you just throwing the towel in after all of that hassle.

I guess the only pertinent question ref the hotel is ‘what was the cancellation policy’ ? I always find it odd that people seem to think hotels operators etc should just take the hit and pay for people not showing up in any situation..

obviously you had a rough go of it here, but I still don’t understand people’s (* not yours) attitude of ‘I didn’t fulfill my part of our agreement, so I want you to pay for that’ philosophy.....

hopefully you can make it back to coz soon and all will be right with the world :)
Yeah, some members here tell others that the hotels often let them off the hook if they cancel, and that can be true with hurricane warnings as the hotels don't want you there while they are boarding up or hunkering down. It's not always the case tho.

My daughter has enjoyed courtesy cancelations on nonfundable reservations when her flights were canceled before, and they have been planning a twentieth anniversary weekend, first to PDC, but then to a south Texas resort after some Covid concerns developed. She happened to share her resort plan with me and I noted that was almost $1K nonrefundable if problems developed, as they more often do lately. She referenced those previous experiences, but I told her about this one, and I think she is rethinking that plan now. I can see why properties don't like last minutes cancelations as they aren't likely to resell those perishable nights.

@DandyDon - it looked like they charged him two nights and possibly two more - Mary Carmen was the hotel.

I understand keeping the first night, that's pretty common policy but most I think allow cancelling before some set time.
Yep, it was a last minute cancelation, and I do understand. I just want a receipt. Maybe my trip insurance will accept a screen shot of the credit card charge. I wish American would respond to my refund request so I can procede.

i certainly wouldn't be happy if i was charged more than the cancellation terms...

can we clarify this @DandyDon before we 'put them on the list' :)
Oh no, it they went beyond the terms, I'd fight that with my credit card. As I mentioned, I just want a receipt.

That all sounds fair. Thanks for the clarification.

they definitely should be sending you that receipt ASAP though. That’s the ‘service’ bit IMO.

American Air finally got around to reviewing my refund request after 10 days on what used to be a one day task. They approved most of the funds requested anyway, $285 in the most recent ticket. They cautioned that it may take 10 more days to show up in my credit card account. It was credited to an old card number as I replaced that with a new card number at the same bank, but I guess the bank will credit it the current account.

They kept the $138 tied up in a voucher given to me when I rebooked the ticket at lower fares during this odyssey. I need to be sure and use that on a new ticket by May 2021.

And no refund on the luggage charges. I do not see an opportunity to claim those on the site so I guess it's time for a phone call and long hold to ask how to claim those.​

The hotel sent me an email with an itemized explanation of charges rather than a real receipt. I wonder how that will work with the trip insurance claim. That would seem too easy to forge.

They approved most of the funds requested anyway, $285 in the most recent ticket. They cautioned that it may take 10 more days to show up in my credit card account. It was credited to an old card number as I replaced that with a new card number at the same bank, but I guess the bank will credit it the current account.
Ok, that credit posted after four days.

And no refund on the luggage charges. I do not see an opportunity to claim those on the site so I guess it's time for a phone call and long hold to ask how to claim those.
I called AA Customer Service and got help from a nice agent. She has a totally different receipt number to use on this claim, not one given to me previously, but she filed the claim for me, and of course - I confirmed it.

I guess it's time to try to file the trip insurance claim on the hotel room nights.

I called AA Customer Service and got help from a nice agent. She has a totally different receipt number to use on this claim, not one given to me previously, but she filed the claim for me, and of course - I confirmed it.
And after ten days I got that refund! Well, I got an email saying that it'd been approved and should show in my credit card account in four days. Adding that email to my huge Coz-Trip email folder to watch. Someday I hope to move all of those to Old Mail, someday.

I guess it's time to try to file the trip insurance claim on the hotel room nights.
And I got that started. Yeah, they don't make it easy, but it's doable. Still getting my documentations together, but it's not a lot of money so I'm not hurrying.

I'd be concerned with a 11 minute lay-over, if it was in the same concourse as your incoming flight, let alone going thru customs! By the way....if you ever have a choice....NEVER go thru Atlanta customs!! OMG!! :rant:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom