Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so Sotis's defence is that Rob wasn't doing something he should have been taught on his course? Interesting.

Teaching CCR divers to establish positive buoyancy with wing/bcd on surface is pretty standard.
There is very little doubt in my mind that some of your diving students have done some pretty dumb stuff that you told them not to do but they did anyway. Because, Divers. In the grand scheme of things, not inflating your BCD on the surface is a pretty small sin, unless you're tired, on your third dive, and prone to passing out. Of course, he had been an instructor for 20 years with PADI, so I'm sure in his vast experience he had taught hundreds of divers to inflate as soon as they surface.

In 2002 I was given at no-cost and no-effort a handful of SDI and TDI Instructor cards to match what my then-current PADI Instructor credentials were. This was a Bret Gilliam special deal when he was SDI./TDI and was trying to build his instructor corps; my cost was paying for SDI/TDI dues for a year. That was the extent of my "cross-over" and I taught various SDI and TDI courses for a number of years based on those cards. I wonder if Stewart got a similar deal.....did he have any PADI Instructor cards? Which would NOT have included the Draeger SCR, by the way, or any other tech credentials, since PADI did not have nay tech courses at that time.
I am not sure when it began but my PADI Dolphin scr card is from 2004

There is very little doubt in my mind that some of your diving students have done some pretty dumb stuff that you told them not to do but they did anyway. Because, Divers. In the grand scheme of things, not inflating your BCD on the surface is a pretty small sin, unless you're tired, on your third dive, and prone to passing out. Of course, he had been an instructor for 20 years with PADI, so I'm sure in his vast experience he had taught hundreds of divers to inflate as soon as they surface.
Not when they have spent the last couple days diving with me if I notice it. Especially if they were still a student on a class..which there are conflicting stories... because. But let's say I did decide to combine training dives with something like filming a movie, if I did, I would be more hyper vigilant because I would know I am coloring well outside the lines.

The other behavior I've seen from time to time (and I'm sure I'm not alone) is divers who start cutting corners--thinking they no longer need to follow basic rules because they're now experienced.

The other behavior I've seen from time to time (and I'm sure I'm not alone) is divers who start cutting corners--thinking they no longer need to follow basic rules because they're now experienced.
I agree...I'm still a new diver but I already have to stop myself from cutting corners. I've been a rock climber for most of my life and the same principle applies. Most rock climbing accidents involve experienced climbers who just skip a vital step in their process like not double checking a knot, anchor or harness. Stuff that a new rock climber typically would never skip.

The_Third_Dive_QN3_Watson.jpg

The first reviews of my book are out. I'm very happy to have this man's opinion as one of the first. I'm sure he won't delight some of the people on this threat, but you can't please everyone.

View attachment 612085
The first reviews of my book are out. I'm very happy to have this man's opinion as one of the first. I'm sure he won't delight some of the people on this threat, but you can't please everyone.
cool, you have someone that I watched try to murder my friends reviewing your book.. can I get the $4 I spent on your movie back? (sarcasm).

Really? It's pretty obvious to me. If he passed out due to a medical condition, then no one is to blame. If he passed out due to hypoxia, then he made a noob mistake probably caused by lack of experience. If he passed out due to hypercapnia, due to the scrubber being exhausted then his mentor has some culpabiity. OR, he could have not passed out at all.
I’m quoting the Chairman’s post mainly because it presents multiple scenarios. What I would like to see are the dive profiles for the 3 dives. And in particular the amount of decompression that was performed associated with each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom