Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the end of the day we (well, adults anyway) are all responsible for the risks we take. The OP's responsibility is to understand those risks and the impact an unfortunate result may have on others that may depend on the OP. At that point, it's up to the OP to take or not take those risks. I tend to be a very conservative diver, but then again I foolishly climb some hairy mountains each summer. Was even chased down the mountain for a ways by a grizzly a few years ago (had bear repellent hooked to my belt, but that was no match for the flight response - so much for risk preparation). If I happen to shuffle off this mortal coil while climbing (and presumably this also applies to the OP), at least it will have been while doing something I enjoy. Same for diving. A lot better than getting run over by a bus. And as an old geezer, I don't have that many years ahead of me that I'm putting at risk.

If you want to solo dive without proper skill and experience, it's not my problem, and I would caution against it. However, I'm not sure I'd want the you as a dive buddy.

I was advised that an lab done air purity test is usually unneeded as long as i keep the filters changed
Clearly you listen to all the advice you are given and follow it closely.

I dont know what to say..
You just can not dive air from that compressor without checking the air in a lab..

You check every bottle with a smell test? This sentence alone tells me, that you have no clue about the danger playing with gases and pressure.
pco is prob the most dangerous aspect in filling own bottles. You are prob fine in a pool.. But if you go to 20m.. Its time to sleep.

Tell me how you can smell that?

Yes, i'm aware of the hazards revolving around air compressors. I have an older, but new hamworthy electric scuba compressor and filter... which the filter is about to get an upgrade. But i know my compressor and filter inside and out. I was advised that an lab done air purity test is usually unneeded as long as i keep the filters changed. I fill outside in the country with fresh air and no fumes around so i'm only filtering out moisture, and what little oil that's produced by the compressor itself.. But it gets a smell test before each bottle fill and i'm keep track of the litmus strip inside to see when it needs to be changed.

But when i started getting into scuba earlier this year, that's when all of the covid bs started, and the certification classes was moved to mainly online, with a couple onsite and lake wet classes. and my schedule wouldn't work with that right now. So i went online and found the scuba courses from SSI and that's what got me started, and then i weighted myself and practiced all of the procedures in the pool, until i eventually grew out of the pool. So it's not like i just threw on a tank and went diving. I studied and practiced from multiple sources for 2 months before going deeper and will eventually get certified when the time is right.

I double check all of my gear before i get in the water. and i've learned to rebuild and service every piece of equipment i have and know what's going on with every piece.

But i don't believe that the OP is a troll. I imagine there is a lot of people who want to learn scuba but don't like the idea of being forced to jump through hoops and pay lots of money to get permission to scuba dive. I know scuba attracts a lot of impulse users, and know there are places a person can get certified in under 8 hours of training including water time. They buy equipment, take a few hour class, get certified, do a dive or two, and then put the equipment away to rot until they sell it 15 years later. But scuba is a big money business because it has a high turnover of divers. Yes, some continue to dive and enjoy it, but a majority of them are just impulse hobbiest. So there's usually a price tag on everything involved and think there's some animosity towards people who don't have to rely on someone else before you can go diving, besides a dive buddy. I get safety is a big issue and sure your Passings forum has a lot of great people. but i didn't see very many that died while out diving. I'm sure they're there and sorry to hear about them. But most were divers that died out of water and i won't be there anytime soon.

I am quite sure that you think you know best and you might get away with it without injury. I sincerely hope that is the case.

Should the worst happen I am quite sure your family will take comfort from you saving a few hundred dollars and 2-3 months by diving before being certified.

BTW this forum is relatively small compared to the number of divers out there - there are undoubtedly a lot more divers who die or get seriously injured without ever getting mentioned here.

As @Mike1967 says though, I think the horse is dead so time to stop flogging it.:deadhorse:

At the end of the day how you learn something is your business. Once you learn it and don’t cut corners. Unfortunately there are people on here who think the only way to learn something is by doing a recognised course which is the reason why diving and related courses have got to the ridiculous extent they are today. Which is largely a huge money making racket.

Way easier to be a diver if you're certified. Not sure how you would find a buddy willing to dive with you, get on board pretty much any dive boat, or get air fills etc. (at least where I live) without a cert.

Q: "Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?"
A: NO!

Ok, I think this kid has the msg, no need to flog this horse any more.
Why do you think that? There is no indication in his posts of anything but rejection of the messages.
Sometimes you have to hit the donkey with a two-by-four not to flog him, but just to get his attention.

Clearly you listen to all the advice you are given and follow it closely.

lol. I listen to everyone, especially when i ask a specific question or need help with something. Whether i follow it or not is multifaceted depending on several things which i'm not going to go into. But i didn't come here to fight or argue. But I will check out the incidents and accidents page to see what commonly happens so i could prepare for something similar. And yesterday i read the diver's rescue manual and decided to order a DSMB to use while i'm out by myself that way people on top can know where i'm at.

Back
Top Bottom