Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wbflyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Getting ready to purchase a new truck, it's come down to the new 2020 Ranger or 2020 Tacoma. Need to buy this weekend and I am worn out researching both. Thoughts from any owners??

Between the two...I’d get a Tacoma. You can beat the crap out of it for 10+ years and 150k+ miles and still get $15k+ out of it. Tacoma’s are rugged, reliable, and have great resale value. Not saying the Ranger isn’t (I know that style has been around outside the U.S. for a while), but just wouldn’t be my choice.

Go drive by a Toyota dealer...there’s always a slew of “big three” trucks on the lot that people traded in on Tacoma’s and Tundra’s. That should tell you something. The only reason I didn’t get a Toyota truck when I was in the market (I went for a Ram 1500) is that I’m a cheapskate when it comes to vehicle purchases.

Thoughts from owners? Keep in mind that anyone is going to love their truck for the first 6+ months unless it’s a complete piece of crap. Everyone that chimes in that owns one or the other is just going to tell you to buy whichever one they own.

Hell...I went with a damn Dodge and the love affair lasted three years.:rofl3:

Do they hold there value that much more than the Ranger? I drove both. The Ranger seemed like a sports car in comparison. However, the interior seemed smaller and sorta confined. The bed of the Tacoma has more tie downs for gear and a\has an actual outlet! So stressful. I wish I never sold my car now...

Do they hold there value that much more than the Ranger? I drove both. The Ranger seemed like a sports car in comparison. However, the interior seemed smaller and sorta confined. The bed of the Tacoma has more tie downs for gear and a\has an actual outlet! So stressful. I wish I never sold my car now...

Toyota Tacoma’s are the four wheeled equivalent of an Apple computer (resale value wise). I’d dump my Ram and buy a used Tacoma (I’d like to trade down...size wise) if they weren’t so pricey. Go on cars.com, Craigslist, etc. and check them out.

In all fairness...all trucks hold their value well. Toyota’s just do so exceptionally well.

Analysis paralysis is a thing. Don’t think about the decision so much that you get all wrapped around the axle over it. You’ll likely be happy with either of them. Personally...I’d go with whichever one you’re more comfortable in. That helped narrow down my decision when I was in the market.

You’ll be happy that you sold your car the first time you get an excuse to use your truck to do truck stuff.:wink:

Toyota is a crap truck. But damn do they hold there resale value. Makes for a good choice when you decide that it is a horrible choice but at least you can get a lot of money back out of it.

How many tanks are you carrying around? The suspension on my mid size doesn't like it when I load up all my gear. I'm probably going to have air bags installed to compensate and will upgrade to a full size for my next one.

Why do you say they are crap? Just curious. I need to carry around 4 to 6 tanks, plus gear for 2 on unimproved roads.

I was an avid Tacoma guy. Only downside to them in my mind was the 14 to 17mpg. My neighbor just picked up a Chevy 1500 with the baby duramax. He is getting 32mpg avg over the last 1500 miles. Very impressive if you ask me. Really makes you ponder. I don't know enough about the ranger to have an opinion. But knowing there are trucks that get better than 25mpg interest me enough that I will buy one on my next go around.

Why do you say they are crap? Just curious. I need to carry around 4 to 6 tanks, plus gear for 2 on unimproved roads.

You’re going to want to think about the size of the bed, too.

One negative is that they have the poorest fuel economy in the class (both the Tacoma and Tundra). Other than the price, the main reason I decided against the Tundra was the ridiculous fuel economy. Literally every other ~1/2 ton segment truck is capable of over 20 MPG on the highway.

4 to 6 tanks shouldn't be a problem with a mid size. I carry more like 16 tanks pre-filled when going for long weekends.

+1 on the fuel economy. That was one of the reasons I didn't get a Tacoma. The other was Toyota doesn't negotiate on price and financing. This may be different in the current market. I got a much better deal on my Frontier with pretty much identical specs.

Also +1 on the bed. I regret getting the quad cab rather than the extended cab due to the bed size. This isn't really an issue for SCUBA, but it is for other applications.

Back
Top Bottom