Propeller wobble in Submerge Scooters N-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My UV-26 has wobbled a bit for 15 years. Hasn't seemed to make any difference. I run mine at 7 almost all the time.

So here it is

The pitch info is estimated as I've used diveX plastic rear parts and they doesn't have the dials
Somehow the 6 seems to wobble more than the 3

Had to keep the trigger time low, I almost overflowed our hot tub on the highest setting :D

Is the prop hitting the prop shroud?

Is the prop hitting the prop shroud?
Shoudn't be at the moment. That used to be the case but I added a small raiser in between the shroud and its support to prevent rubbing.

watching the center screw makes me think the shaft is bent.

I doubt that the high speed shaft seal would cause a problem here. Likewise, the bearings are housed within the tail cone and within the motor housing. Cannot see those bearings going bad. The ones that came out of my SS Viper were steel and lubricated with some heavy grease.

You should disassemble the entire properlly assembly. Inspect each the propeller blades, the yoke, yoke screw, hubs (upper & lower), the pitch adjustment knob and the clutch plate. A worn plastic clutch plate along the retainer pin that is thread across the propeller shaft, can cause this. Be careful with the removal and installation of the Yoke & Yoke screw. The yoke holds the propller blades and adjust the pitch. It is extremely easy to break the Yoke, where it attaches to the propeller blades.

Resist the temptation to use a power tool to re-fasten the screws that hold the upper hub to the lower hub. It doesn't take much to crack the plastic. Also resist the urge to over torque the screws. Again, the plastic breaks easily.

Let us know what you find.

I replaced the clutch plate in mine and it solved my wobble.
clutch plate wear at the pin slot or wear on the yoke pins are mostly likely causes at this point

Thank you all for your input.
So I removed the prop assembly (didn't touch the seal as I don't want to replace it at the moment) rebuild it and after that I removed the cone from the body and rebuild that.

Here is some footage on land

I added an image of the parts that I've replaced so far ( shaft seal is replaced as well but not in the image). I have an aluminium clutch plate as well but it seemed to be more loose than the plastic one.

And as here are much more wiser people than I am. Could someone tell me what is the porous small part inside the electronics / motor compartment? Is it for condensation?

Attachments

• N-19 replaced parts.jpg
    N-19 replaced parts.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 73
  • mystery part.jpg
    mystery part.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 83
Came upon this video on Youtube about a bent clutch plate drive pin. The persont hat uploaded the video stated that it caused his propeller assembly to wobble. Makes sense, as the clutch plate sits on the drive in and it's the drive pin that spins the clutch plate. I would think the milled channel in the clutch plate would need a very tight fitting to prevent any play between the pin and the clutch plate.

Might be worth a try, since you've already replaced everything, apart from that pin. The following is a video of my own SS Viper DPV. Mine has brand new bearings and a new shaft seal. Everything plastic, apart from the blades has been replaced. I did replace the clutch plate drive pin, although I have the original clutch plate. I don't see any wobble and I cannot detect any play when I grab the hub assembly and try to move it sideways.

O.

Back
Top Bottom