stream2sea mask defog review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro recently issued a recall on that mask because of all the defog issues. It’s absolutely impossible to defog the lenses. A proposed solution was to flip the lenses but didn’t help much.

Ahh thanks! If you try it out (@tridacna and @lexvil), please do let us know! If you are unhappy with the product for any reason, we have a 30-day return policy. You can purchase from our website as well as from Amazon (free shipping I believe), or support local and buy from your local dive shop! Here's our store locator map: Store Search - Stream2Sea.com

If you send me a sample, I’ll be more than happy to test it. That would be a feather in your cap! I’ll be a proselystiser incour shop.

If you send me a sample, I’ll be more than happy to test it. That would be a feather in your cap! I’ll be a proselystiser incour shop.
I wish we had sample sizes but we don't. :( The 2oz is the smallest size we have. I'll see if I can get another review sample approved and let you know. (I've given out my freebie quota already)

I wish we had sample sizes but we don't. :( The 2oz is the smallest size we have. I'll see if I can get another review sample approved and let you know. (I've given out my freebie quota already)

No problemo.

So exactly how does this work? Do you spit in your mask, smush it around with your fingers and then rinse like you would with BS or other defog? (Btw, I get a bit grossed out when I see people hack up loogies to do this - hoping that's not really necessary!)

I use some blue stuff and love it. I put on a very thin layer, let it dry, and right before we splash I pour a little bit of fresh water into my mask, pour it out and don the mask. Just wondering how to 'properly' use spit.

Just spit, no loogies. Then rub it around well. Give it a rinse, put it on your face and voila.

I received my free sample from S2S this week. Did four dives, two yesterday and two today. First two in the pool with a class - water temp 89F. Two in the Shark River Inlet, NJ - water temp 73F. Used baby shampoo in left lens - Stream2sea in right lens. I did umpteen mask removals in the pool and at least four in the ocean.

Method: As per manufacturer's instructions, I placed a very small amount of S2S in the right lens and mooshed it around. I sprayed my usual BS (30% BS - 70% H2O) in the left. Rinsed with dive water immediately prior to each dive. I did not re-apply either after both first dives.

Results: Stream2sea had absolutely no fogging issues whatsoever. Remained clear no matter what I did with my mask. BS had minor fogging in both the pool and ocean especially after mask flooding. (Small patches of fogging). My mask was perfectly clear in right lens for four dives. I have to say that I was initially skeptical but no more. Unlike 500psi or SeaGold, one bottle of this stuff (2fl oz) will last a long time. You use much less product and it's much easier to apply. The clear plastic bottle is also a nice touch and lets you see how much is left in the bottle unlike the first two.

I was not compensated in any way nor am I associated with @Stream2Sea . I will definitely recommend to students and that's the highest recommendation I can give. @lowviz take note!

yeah @lowvis, get out your titration flasks and...

But wait, @tridacna time to swap S2S to the left side and BS to the right side to see if the problem follows.

BTW, when I use diluted BS (10%) I squirt in enough to cover the lens, pour out the surplus but do not rinse before use. Alternatively, I put 2-3 drops of straight BS on a dry lens, smear it around to cover the entire glass surface and let it dry. After it dries, buff it out with a soft cotton cloth.

It's amusing to me, to come back to this thread after a bit of time and see all the BS being discussed. :p

My saliva has been called SCUBA spit

Mine is Gordon's Gob :D

I was not compensated in any way nor am I associated with @Stream2Sea . I will definitely recommend to students and that's the highest recommendation I can give. @lowviz take note!
This could be serious progress!

Please remember that the team in the other thread wasn't ever testing defog formulations, we were testing how to properly prepare a mask's glass surface so that it would become 'water-loving' (hydrophilic) and thus less prone to fogging. However, I needed a 'standard' defog to carry out this work. I used one part BS and 99 parts water to make a really wimpy defog. Clean glass doesn't stay clean very long so it needs to be protected. The highly diluted BS defog is right at the lower limit of being useful, as I wanted it to be, so that the glass surface characteristics could dominate the fogging characteristics.

Looooooooong story short, I say that we found that a run through the dishwasher is a best first attempt at seasoning a glass mask. Should this be ineffective, level the mask and pour a bit of household ammonia into the mask to cover the lens(es). Refresh the ammonia when it loses its punch. 3-5 days soaking in ammonia. Done.

Now, add a REALLY good defog from someone else's research and that should be one very unproblematic mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom