BP/W for a totally newbie diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I never heard of BP/W until I joined Scubaboard a few weeks ago. Now I'm intrigued. My wife and I are in the process of getting OW certified and have gathered all our needed dive gear except BCD, regulators and tanks. We have spent enough $$ this year on certification and the gear we have so we are putting off the rest of the gear until next year. That does not mean I'm not shopping around!

Would I we be better off just buying a commercial BCD to start and wait until we get the experience to decide what we want before going the BP/W route, or is it worthwhile to go straight to the customizable option? I'm a pretty mechanically skilled guy (used to be a motorcycle mechanic), so I think I can deal with the assembly, disassembly and adjustments, etc.

If I go with the BP/W option, how do I decide what to start with? It would be a single tank. What else?

Think about where you might do your diving. That leads to how much lead you normally add, and how much lift you'll need to offset suit compression. SS backplate is heavier than aluminium, there are 20lb and 30lb wing options, 25lb options. Warm water with 3mm wetsuit and S80 tanks, you might want a SS plate to reduce lead and you'd be fine with a small wing.

The jacket is by far the dominant BCD, we probably all started diving in one if we learned in the last few decades. Since getting a BP&W in 2010 I have never used my jacket, so that is my lived experience of the two styles. The backplates are all pretty much the same, the wings probably are too. Some will sell a single tank adapter and integrated weights separately, some (like Deep6 and Halycon) have a set up ready to go for single tank. A fully customisable tech rig, once you add all the extras, will cost quite a lot more. I have a Hollis Solo, some love the Elite with the buckles, many swear by Halcyon, its up to you what features add value for you. Zeagle make BP&Ws, as do Scubapro, XDeep, Apeks etc.

Most jacket BCDs have pockets, which are handy for carrying stuff, most of which you don't need and some you do. If you go the BP&W route, you might find you want a pocket or two. I had a pocket glued to my 3mm wetsuit but you can buy all manner of shorts with pockets that you wear over your wetsuit. Most drysuits come with pockets. You can buy pockets that loop from the waistbelt and have a thigh strap, and you can buy pockets that you glue on yourself.

The options are not limitless but you do need to have an idea of what you want. Otherwise buy cheap or hire until you have a clearer idea.

ScubaBoard is very BP/W-centric, but I think for good reason.

I would not say that BP/W is reserved for the most experienced divers, not at all. Diving is diving, trim is trim, buoyancy is buoyancy, you get the picture.... the key is to have all of the factors in balance and enjoy diving safely. That can just as easily be achieved with whatever BC setup one chooses.

Major benefit of BP/W is the customization available. With jacket BC, you are limited to what is offered by the manufacturer, both in terms of Fit and Features. Not everyone fits into a manufacturer's sizing scheme, whereas BP/W can be fit to nearly any body size/shape (there are shorter and longer plates available for those at the extremes).

Being Modular, the BP/W system allows options for the specific type of diving you're doing, and can even be modified as your diving evolves. Need more or less buoyancy? Change the wing!

BP/W is certainly easier to travel with. They can pack down very well, as opposed to a big bulky jacket which takes up nearly half of a large suitcase.

Cost can be another factor.... It is quite possible to assemble a BP/W setup at significantly reduced cost compared to a new Jacket BC. Basically, you can spend almost as little as you'd like, or certainly as much as you'd like for whatever type of setup desired.

In the water, I'd say that BP/W is generally easier to obtain a nice flat trim position. Good trim is definitely achievable in Jacket BCs, especially the better made jackets, so don't take that as meaning that you cannot achieve flat trim position in a jacket. But, BP/W naturally wants the weight (of you, your lead, etc) to dangle below the buoyant wing.

I'll finish by saying that there is no right or wrong setup, especially for newer divers. The most important thing is to know your setup, practice with it, and be confident in whatever gear you're diving.

I think it's good to do your homework now, since you aren't buying until next year. There are some great options out there, but it can be tough to find things in stock right now. I would guess things will be better next year when you are ready to actually buy. My first and second choices were both sold out with no target for restocking. FWIW, I did my first dive 30 years ago and I'm just getting back into diving as well. I opted for a BPW because it made a lot of sense to me...

I bought a BP/W immediately after my OW course and I regret nothing. The only "upgrade" I've had to do to it is buy a doubles wing when I moved into tech.

No problem. Completed my cert on a jacket and then dove BP/W after. I had a little help from the vendor who let me try a set on a pool. Never wore anything else after that save fro my SM rig.

Jacket BC is a motorcycle with the engine, wheels and suspension choice locked in place (sewn together), as well as the size and style of panniers. And many of them, for 'ease', put the handlebars (weight pockets) too far out front (down low), where it is harder to get comfortable (trimmed out for easy movement) on the road (in the water).

BP/W is a cycle frame (the BP/W concept) that takes modular engines, wheels, and suspension from, say, 20 (mostly) mutually compatible manufacturers and has built-in rails (2" webbing and the plate itself) for attaching your choice of panniers or other accessories not just in one spot but throughout the bike. Plus, most of the manufacturers sell a full up built one so you need not build or customize from parts if you do not want to. And the handlebars (weight distribution) are typically set up for you already in a much smoother (trimmed out) way, so it is easier as you start out.

But, you know, you could go either way.

:)

Back
Top Bottom