Full Face Specialty - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After I got used to the weird buoyancy, I got to like the no-fog wide field of view.

That unanticipated buoyancy had been an issue, when I initially began using full face masks, especially in shallow waters, when replacing zincs as a kid. A number of manufacturers had offered ridiculously expensive, sometimes unwieldy ballasts for their masks (.8 kilos is a bit much on the neck, after a few hours; the mask itself weighs only 860 grams), usually to the tune of several hundred dollars for two meager wads of either lead or machined brass; though a few of us, at the time, resisted -- cobbled together our own, with bagged shot, encapsulated within lengths of trimmed inner tube, with cable ties.

I did eventually manage to find a pair of those "genuine" 600 gram commercial weights, years ago, at a local Bay Area swap meet, for 25.00: a generous 325.00 discount, off a current list price. The seller had been using them as paperweights on an old stack of 1960s Playboy and Skin Diver magazines, had no knowledge of their purpose; and was happy to be rid of them, for whatever I had in my wallet . . .

. . . [T]his is a possibly dumb question because I know nothing about FFMs but can you handle gas switches this way?

Say you're diving sidemount and want to breath each tank down, or if you're switching from a travel to a bottom gas? Or are FFMs solely for single tank non-deco dives?

That's not a dumb question at all. FFMs are far more versatile and useful than that. I've typically used gas switching blocks, when necessary (see photo on right), which allow fully separate air supplies to be used. The diver simply flips a knob 180˚ from one inlet to another -- very simple and almost foolproof, unless one is combating a bout of "crazy eye" . . .

Here’s the catcher: I feel like a lot of people feel claustrophobic or have vision issues, so that’s why they wear FFM . . . I recommend getting a prescription half-face mask, instead of screwing around with a FFM

Ironically enough, those who tend to be claustrophobic are far more likely to be affected while using full face masks. Rather than enjoying the easily removable strap of a conventional mask, FFMs have so-called "spider" harnesses (see below), which effectively encapsulates -- binds the entire top and back of the head. Couple that with a thick hood; ballast weights, which can weigh as much as the mask itself; no direct access to the nose; and, suddenly, the claustrophobe is on an overcrowded elevator, full of water. I have witnessed that all too often; and you've gotta know that there's a big FFM used market, as a direct result.

My FFM use had nothing to do with corrected vision; have for need of it; had always been seen as protection from both the cold and potential environmental nastiness, while taking sediment samples, for example, in such desirable vacation spots, as Oakland Harbor. A full face mask also allowed me to dive, when I broke my jaw years ago and could not manage a mouthpiece for a couple of months . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 82
  • OSI-GSB-L.jpg
    OSI-GSB-L.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 69
that was an interesting read, and this is a possibly dumb question because I know nothing about FFMs but can you handle gas switches this way?

Say you're diving sidemount and want to breath each tank down, or if you're switching from a travel to a bottom gas? Or are FFMs solely for single tank non-deco dives?

I certified on the Ocean Reef Predator mask in March and would buy the Ocean Reef Space Defender 100 tomorrow if I wasn't also considering a rebreather. You can plumb two hoses at once, switching tanks sidemount would be as simple as turning a knob on the mask. Quick disconnecting the hoses and hooking up a different gas for deco etc is also very easy. The OR Space Defender 100 is approved up to 100% O2 so it can be used for deco, a feature I haven't found in any other mask.

With my wife and I considering rebreathers we're on the fence between Ocean Reef and Hollis/Kirby.

I don't think there's any reason to flush the mask as it will happen naturally by breathing and if it doesn't that gas doesn't matter.

Advantages to me are
1. Medical condition such as O2 hit more likely to survive
2. Cold water
3. No fogging ever

Comms can also have uses, I was able to call the group back to look at a shark, on a standard regulator it would have been too much work to chase down the group, turn them around, and bring them back. I've heard OTS comms are better than OR but I only have experience with OR. Hand signs are so much faster than talking though.

Sam

Just as an update, to show that interest in FFMs is rising, a couple weeks back, my LDS did an "end of summer" thing where we had gear demos and discover scuba sessions. I forget how many discover scuba sessions we had and couldn't tell you how many people demo'd our Halcyon student BP/Ws but I know I had around 20 people demo the OceanReef ffm with me in the pool. We even gave one away, along with a Halcyon blue CF backplate & harness, a ScubaPro G2, and quite a few other (smaller) prizes. So to say diving with a ffm is "foolish" and "95% of divers won't use them, blah, blah, blah" is just nonsense.

If anyone in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area ever wants to try one out, I'm usually available and have access to an 18' deep pool at the shop. Shoot me a PM and I'm happy to set it up! Us FFM divers are on the rise!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom