Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I am not a fan of is the lower level Rangers headlights. I've heard they are terrible. You have to go up to the Lariat to get the LED... that's like 40k.

Getting ready to purchase a new truck, it's come down to the new 2020 Ranger or 2020 Tacoma. Need to buy this weekend and I am worn out researching both. Thoughts from any owners??

I have a 4Runner which is basically a Tacoma. I've put 130,000 km (81,000 miles) on it in about 2 1/4 years. It has been flawless. Not a single thing wrong with it. We just did brakes at 120,000 km.

We're replacing our Subaru this year, and I will likely get a Tacoma. They seem to be indestructible, according to several friends who own them.

Ford on the other hand... well a buddy has an Edge, that's maybe 18 months old, and maybe 40,000 km... it leaves him stranded about once every two months. Usually some black box issue. I have no idea what the Edge shares with the Ranger, but undoubtedly some stuff.

One thing I am not a fan of is the lower level Rangers headlights. I've heard they are terrible. You have to go up to the Lariat to get the LED... that's like 40k.
Dude, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but headlights? That is pretty deep in the weeds. Maybe take a step back, don't think about trucks for a week or two, and come at it with a fresh set of eyes.

Every truck has one shortcoming or another. You have to pick one thing or another to compromise on or else you’re going to be spending $40k+.

That’s one of the reasons I knocked Ford (F-150) off my list early on. To get a power drivers seat, you need one $3k+ package that’s filled with crap I didn’t care about. To get a rear sliding window...it was only readily available in $40k+ trucks.

Dude, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but headlights? That is pretty deep in the weeds. Maybe take a step back, don't think about trucks for a week or two, and come at it with a fresh set of eyes.
Maybe. Headlights are pretty important. I’ve had a number of Toyotas over the years, and definitely started to notice a difference in illumination.

2001 Taco. I don’t recall that much, but lighting was better than my 1993 GMC Sonoma, but that’s probably not saying much.
2006 4Runner. This had projector headlights. So much better.
2010 Tundra. Back to reflectors. Fog lights were a must. Definitely a step down from the 4Runner.

Current is 2017 Nissan Titan XD. Back to projectors. These headlights are awesome. Great illumination with or without fog lights, and despite being taller than any of the above, I can’t remember the last time I got high beam flashed by an oncoming driver. Was a fairly frequent occurrence with the Tundra.

yeah, I totally understand why you might think they are not important however, we have a mountain cabin and it is DARK at night. Hard to describe but I need really good lighting, I know it sounds weird. All kinds of critters can creep up on the road and I like a little early warning :)

I'm 90% leaning to Tacoma. Going this weekend to look, I can get their LEDs or install LED bulbs in the lows and fogs.

Nummy, nummy...except that diamond plate crap. Barf-o-rama.

upload_2020-9-16_22-30-6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom