BP/W for a totally newbie diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If these BPW systems are so flexible and so forth how come I own four wings, four backplates and really need another wing? And how come all the people I have been diving with then last few weeks are just as sorted in the water in their Buddy Commandos as I am? And how c9me a wing costs as much as those Buddy Commando BCDs? And then I have to spend as much again on a backplate and harness?

Would the diving you do that requires four BP/W combos, be fixed with one BCD? Or would you likely have four Buddy Commandos as well? Just trying to understand what it is that you're saying. I would guess most people have multiple BP/W setups because they don't want to reconfigure their gear each time there may be different dive requirements, not because the BP/W setups aren't flexible enough to handle it.

I would definitely agree with test diving gear if possible. And urge people to not let others spoil their diving. Granted, I also dive a monochrome computer and sometimes a back inflate BCD.

Would the diving you do that requires four BP/W combos, be fixed with one BCD? Or would you likely have four Buddy Commandos as well? Just trying to understand what it is that you're saying. I would guess most people have multiple BP/W setups because they don't want to reconfigure their gear each time there may be different dive requirements, not because the BP/W setups aren't flexible enough to handle it.

I would definitely agree with test diving gear if possible. And urge people to not let others spoil their diving. Granted, I also dive a monochrome computer and sometimes a back inflate BCD.
People do manage to do warm water, single cold water and twinset with the same Buddy Commando. Not so good for a rebreather though. I am not actually claiming that a BCD is superior, I am saying that the flexibility argument for BPW is not real in practice because the weight of the BP is somewhat important and the size of wing is very important.

A properly fitting BCD is a fine tool for 90% of dives.

People do manage to do warm water, single cold water and twinset with the same Buddy Commando. Not so good for a rebreather though. I am not actually claiming that a BCD is superior, I am saying that the flexibility argument for BPW is not real in practice because the weight of the BP is somewhat important and the size of wing is very important.

True, and a 30lb/13-15L wing and a backplate with a hog harness and a couple of weight pouches will cover almost any recreational diver’s needs without the need for upgrades. I’ve never dived doubles, and I’m not sure if I ever will. I will add a smaller wing to the mix but that’s because it’s fun and because I bought myself a Freedom Plate, not because I need one.

Diving single tank with a BCD that is good enough for twins is not the same as with a BPW with a doubles wing?

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info here. One thing I realize is if I go the BP/W route, I probably will not piece together my first rig myself. I'll buy it ready-made or used, learn what I like and then start throwing money at mods!

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info here. One thing I realize is if I go the BP/W route, I probably will not piece together my first rig myself. I'll buy it ready-made or used, learn what I like and then start throwing money at mods!
I'm pretty sure the mods of ScubaBoard will be very happy to hear that!

You're way over-thinking it....a cat or dog could probably put one together.

If they had opposable thumbs, I’d agree with that statement.:D

It really is pretty easy though. The big reason you want to put it together is that you WILL have to make adjustments sooner or later. If you put it together, you’ll be in a better position to do that quickly on your own.

Look online to see how the cam bands are threaded. Whenever you go to take them apart (ex. To swap wing or BP)...take a picture of how the band threads through the buckle. Yeah...there are numbers on the buckle that show the order, but unless you do it on a regular basis...it’s not particularly helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom