Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was DM ing on a local charter boat and we had a full boat, about 1/2 were tourists, I grabbed the hook for the float ball (Drift Diving) and realized at about 40 feet down that I was still wearing my sunglasses and wide brimmed hat! Fortunately my mask was around my neck. I stashed the glasses and wore the hat for the entire dive, when we got back on the boat one of the regulars asked if I meant to do that! I told him no but don't tell anyone else.

My mom said "are you hot in there??" LITERALLY sweat is pouring off my face with 80lbs of **** on my back, lol... "that looks heavy", and my favorite "is there anything I can do?" she's a GREAT mom, just not a diver. This was the 1st time she's ever seen me dive..

Tbh, the heat doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I just know it's apart of the game and I'll be in soon. The "trying" to not be an ass to someone who's asking questions gets to me a lot. I don't want to be an ass, it's just I'm super focused on what I'm trying to accomplish here and YOU talking is in my way, lol... so it's very short answers and usually some apologies later!

It's much better to talk to me after the dive....I should have a patch or something that says that on my suit!

I dove with a guy that responded to what do you see down there? By telling them sharks, dolphins, swordfish.....until they finally took the hint and walked away, we're in RI in October.

I dove with a guy that responded to what do you see down there? By telling them sharks, dolphins, swordfish.....until they finally took the hint and walked away, we're in RI in October.
That's nasty! I humour them for a bit before saying "gotta get in the water, I'm starting to boil".

YES. Even here in NS in summer people see you walking around geared up and sweating your____ off-- and they start a conversation. THEY are in bathing suits.

They don't realize. You must tell them

Waited til the end of a dive to be a dickhead. Spent entire last dive in banda sea removing long line full of hooks had a coil of it as long as my arm when I realised I had nothing to cut it with how heavy it was becoming so went to surface. It was then I realised I was attached to the reef by km of industrial high tech long line so at the mercy of the swell and realised I couldn't bend or use that arm, managed to surface and waved to boatmen to HELP cut me loose (my guide had gone to locate other diver and tell another couple of divers what was going on) but took them a little longer because I came up not where expected. When they arrived and realised I was stuck to the sea floor with an arm full of vicious hooks they had to find a knife quickly, cut the end connected to the reef and gently get the hook covered coils off my arm.
Then I did a really stupid thing. Handed up my tank, fins, bc, mask and went to swim over to the other side of the tender to avoid the line the boys were trying to find where to put.....with nothing but my weightbelt on. I was exhausted even before having to swim with weight. Wont do that again.

I always pull my mask down around my neck. No beer buying for me!

After a fab day of diving, I gathered all my things but I was slow and last paying diver to leave the boat. But I couldn't find my mask. I was just short of panic when one of the crew who knew me very well laughed and laughed, pointing at me! "Chilly! It's around your neck!"

Ya, so, I did have to buy the beer that day. :oops:

Wet rocks
Damp sand

Two memorable stuff ups
1.Deep dive on AOW fours from home, loading gear on boat - wetsuiit -Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!. Used instructors shorty wetsuit, winter in Melbourne, it was a quick dive.
2. Two week trip to the Maldives, day 1, pull my fins on, no straps on fins, fortunately the boat had some 10 mm bungee cord, that did the job..

My buddy once forgot his hood on a shore dive here in N.S., probably in May when the ocean is still like 40F. He stayed on the surface and watched me 20-30' below. He didn't do that again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom