Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to cancel three international dive trips this year, so I've been diving the hell out of the local quarries and lakes. Not exactly the same as tropical diving, but it has had to suffice. I had a couple of late-summer Lake Huron wreck dives set up, but then the Go Between broke down and put an end to the Port Sanilac charter dive season. I could drive out to Hammond or Milwaukee, but instead I've just been doing local stuff. I mean, how can you beat a shallow dive in a murky, silty local lake with 2' viz? Lol. At least the viz at the quarries has been pretty good this year, despite the hot summer.

The Sanilac wrecks in recreational depths are so much better than the Chicago and Milwaukee ones, so you’re not missing much.

The Sanilac wrecks in recreational depths are so much better than the Chicago and Milwaukee ones, so you’re not missing much.
Oh really? Ok, at least that makes me feel a little better. Still, I'm going a little stir crazy diving the same spots over and over again. In a few more weeks when folks start taking their boats out of the larger inland lakes I'll have a few more dive spots. Not that any of them are all that great, but at least it'll be a change of scenery. We don't bother diving them in the summer. I'm not trying to get clocked in the head by a speedboater (or more likely a jet-skier) not paying attention to a dive flag.

1. Welcome back
2. Glad you're still diving
3. Glad you are expanding your dive horizons

I get sick of BS here just like any other place and bail for a while occasionally, I come back because I have made lifelong friendships here and it is the world's best resource for dive information and entertainment relevant to diving. One of my mentors is in his 80s, a cancer survivor and has limited mobility and still occasionally goes out commercial spearfishing, gives me hope.

I’m probably moving out of IL next summer. WI, MI, and OH are on my list. Each has its pros and cons, so I’m doing my research and I’ll go from there. Permanent remote work gives me this option.

Why stay in the north? Come down to Florida. You can dive year round in the springs in 72 degF water. For wrecks and deep diving you've got the Atlantic ocean. And best of all, no snow or ice to contend with on the roads. Hurricanes, sure. Jut don't live on the coast. Also, no state income taxes!

Why stay in the north? Come down to Florida. You can dive year round in the springs in 72 degF water. For wrecks and deep diving you've got the Atlantic ocean. And best of all, no snow or ice to contend with on the roads. Hurricanes, sure. Jut don't live on the coast.

I happen to love winter and cold weather. AND cold water. I don’t tolerate heat and humidity well at all. Then there are my beloved Great Lakes wrecks.

Fortunate of you. Down here everything is closed. We cannot move, even from our neighbourhood. Pools are closed, beaches are closed, roads are closed, borders are closed. No public transportation for non escencial workers. No flights. And it will take long before anything is being opened.

kinda interesting how it's worked out - it seems the states that took covid seriously early on are the ones in the best shape now and are able to resume a modicum of normalcy. those areas that stuck their head in the sand and/or decided to make it a political issue are now paying for it.

like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Why stay in the north? Come down to Florida. You can dive year round in the springs in 72 degF water. For wrecks and deep diving you've got the Atlantic ocean. And best of all, no snow or ice to contend with on the roads. Hurricanes, sure. Jut don't live on the coast. Also, no state income taxes!
What’s the catch ?

Do I become a ‘Florida man’ ? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom