Steel HP 23 vs Al 19 redundant air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might also consider resale valve. Especially since you’re an “older diver” as you call yourself. Resale value on a 40 is going to be much better.

Yes, I'm 51 with a birthday coming up soon, so I think I'm a dinosaur when I see all the younger folks getting into diving now. It's unfortunate that now I have the discretionary money to dive, I'm old enough to realize I have quite a few limitations to work around that I didn't have when I first certified in 1992...

I hadn't considered resale value at all.

Yes, I'm 51 with a birthday coming up soon, so I think I'm a dinosaur when I see all the younger folks getting into diving now. It's unfortunate that now I have the discretionary money to dive, I'm old enough to realize I have quite a few limitations to work around that I didn't have when I first certified in 1992...

I hadn't considered resale value at all.
You’re a child at 51, you should have to scrap the tank long before you have to quit diving :wink:

I would go with the 19cf and get a transfill whip. I have used pony’s for reg testing more than anything else, better than ending a dive if something happens.

I didn’t actually respond honestly before. I’d get the 19. Also, despite mu earlier post, I would also sling it. If you really want to backmount it I don’t see any problem with it but honestly I think slinging it is easier to deal with all things considered.

I too don't like back mounted ponies. The only thing that I put on my back is my primary tank or tanks. Anything else is a stage of some sort. So if you specifically only want advice on the two options as a back mounted pony I have nothing to offer. If you are open to carrying it as a stage aluminum cylinders are far easier to carry. They are less negative (or is that more buoyant?) and being "butt light" they ride much better slung next to you. HP steel cylinders are a PITA to carry as a stage. I tried once and it sucked.

I too don't like back mounted ponies. The only thing that I put on my back is my primary tank or tanks. Anything else is a stage of some sort. So if you specifically only want advise on the two options as a back mounted pony I have nothing to offer. If you are open to carrying it as a stage aluminum cylinders are far easier to carry. They are less negative (or is that more buoyant?) and being "butt light" they ride much better slung next to you. HP steel cylinders are a PITA to carry as a stage. I tried once and it sucked.
A 3l Steel is so short that you basically have a clip at each end. It is quite negative and so stays hanging off both the chest and hip D ring no matter what. Since it is so short it doesn’t drag like a 10 or 12l or even 7l would. I took a couple of kg off my belt while diving the pony. I guess I could take off three, but you know...

Lots of people do back mount them, you need to be very aware of which reg is which and have a reliable scheme to be sure to start with the correct one.

I agree sling is the way to go, no extra stuff needed other than a hip D ring which is also nice if you decide to not take on a dive.

Lots of good posts here.

I'd definitely review each with an open mind, being willing to see things you had not previously considered.

Also, keep in mind we sometimes end up diving in settings or conditions that we had no intentions of diving in. So be careful being prepared ONLY for the dive you plan on doing (or have always done). Things can and do go sideways after you're in the water. And when they do, it happens faster than you ever thought it could. You want to be prepared for THAT dive, not the one you thought you were going to be doing. Motorcyclists say "Dress for the SLIDE not the RIDE". Those guys that you see riding with shorts and flip flops... they are likely unfamiliar with this saying. Hopefully when they do become familiar with it, they have a chance to practice it next time.

As a follow up to that, reg color can't always be counted upon to determine which reg you have in the water. Water filtering the light at depth, so I wouldn't count on that as your only differentiating factor ...

Also as @Marie13 said, there have been cases, some well discussed, about confusion with a back mounted pony leading to a fatality. Dead diver, full main tank, empty pony.

@KenGordon makes excellent points when it comes to peoples reactions in emergencies

Story goes something like this...

Assume, for what ever reason (maybe you didn't set up your rig completely, and a crew member was nice enough to hand you your reg but they gave you the wrong one. Or your next off the boat, everyone is rushing, so you reach behind you and grab your (pony) reg, give it a couple of test breaths and jump in- point is IT HAPPENS- no one PLANS on it happening, but it happens), you managed to start the dive with your pony reg in your mouth. After a few minutes, you notice you're having to pull kind of hard on your reg for air, check your gauge or computer... no worries plenty of air (sure there is, in your main tank, meanwhile your pony tank is another story). You continue your descent to 90ish feet and you exhale, go to take a breath, and you get nothing... you realize some how you ran out of air, no worries, I have my trusty pony reg on my necklace (or BC or whatever) and you reach for it, but it isn't there... where the hell is it? (it's in your mouth but you don't realize that) You waste a precious few seconds searching for it (ever looked for your glasses, keys, phone, wallet for 5 minutes before you realized they were on your face, or in your pocket?)... but you can't find it... oh, and your primary... it's been floating around behind you since you jumped off the boat, you thought it was in your mouth after all, and there is no way you are going to get a hold of it now, even if you realize what's going on... and now you've been out of air, with empty lungs, expecting to take your next breath for 5 minutes (its really only 5 seconds, but you'd swear it was 5 minutes) and you don't have time to find your buddy (if you have one), inform said buddy you're out of air (calmly and succinctly with obvious signals...right), and have your buddy flawlessly deploy his octo for you.... Best case scenario at this point, you might be able to do a CESA, exhaling as you ascend, but more likely it's a rocket trip to the surface holding what little breath you have because your body KNOWS there is air on the surface and your body knows if it doesn't get air, it's dead. Or maybe you just keep searching for that darned missing pony reg and drowned at depth.

Expect an emergency to be a $#!T show. Train so that your reactions (not the decisions you make, you have very little time for decisions in a true emergency, you have reactions) save your a$$. Having a slung pony with the reg and hose tucked neatly into a couple of stage straps DOES all but eliminate the chance of accidentally grabbing that reg. That's a fact. Is it enough to offset what you may consider the hassles/dangers of a slung pony, maybe not. You dive you.

I've only been diving for 4 years (a very busy 4 years, however). I have dove single back mount with and without a pony, single back mount with a back mounted pony, single back mount with a slung pony, sidemount with and without a deco tank, and back mount doubles with and without a deco tank. Still, I don't pretend to know everything (or anything for that matter). So I listen to every piece of advice or bit of information I receive, regardless of the source, and I consider it carefully... before I dismiss it as total BS and do what I want anyway :)

No seriously, I assume I'm doing it wrong and everyone else knows better than me, so I listen to what they have to say with an open mind and decide if what they do or suggest will work for me. If so, GREAT, I have a better way to do something. If not, no big deal, I learned another way to do something, maybe I can use it later.

Good luck with whichever option you go with, happy diving...:cheers:

Another vote for slinging an Al30 or Al40.

A few more points to consider that I have not heard mentioned.

1) Back mounting a Steel 23 is going to change your buoyancy (negative) and you'll need to remove weight elsewhere. If you ever Don't dive the pony you need to remember to add back that weight. And then remove it again when you remount the pony. Reasons you might not dive it include - It's empty or low, the 2nd stage is bubbling, you forgot it, etc.

2) An Al30 or Al40 is just about neutral when you sling it. It should not impact your buoyancy at all. You can add or remove it at will without requiring a reconfig of you weight pouches or belt. A slung bottle is basically unnoticeable when diving. You'll forget it's there.

3) In some cases it is nice to be able to remove the pony in the water and hand it off. A good example is when diving from a zodiac where you need remove your kit and hand it up before getting in the boat. Much easier with a slung bottle.

I'm voting a slung AL19.
It is just simpler and more flexible.
Since you now have discretionary income - a 19 pony travels just fine in a checked bag. You can be a good instabuddy, but you don't have to worry about about them being one ... :wink:

Btw...

say you are out of gas at 30m...

1 minute to get your act together, a perfect 3 minute ascent, and 3 minutes at 5m

that is 4bar minutes + 7.5 (3 * 2.5 bar average) + 4.5 = 16 bar minutes so air used is 16 * your RMV. For a relaxed and practiced person that might be 20 but for a person breathing like a train it might be 40.

you start with about 600l so 16*20
Is ok but 16*40 is not. So any ascent that is not quite sorted is a risk and you will have to skip some of the safety stop.

Other fun includes free flows jumping in, you can easily lose 50 bar like that, and general lost gas through turning it on, testing etc. Also take care that the reg is charged when in the water and again at depth so as to avoid flooding the regulator. Check it still works at depth every so often. Otherwise you might flood it, not notice and only check at the surface until finding out it isn’t in a good state when you really need it.

Back
Top Bottom