Diver death in the Keys September 16, 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dannybot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A member of a Facebook group says his uncle died while diving in the Keys today. Another diver had to be medivacked. He says it happened at the end of the dive, no more details available.

I am curious if anyone here might have more details? I find it odd that there were two incidents on the same dive. It was reportedly their first dive of the day.

The news story was useless.
Yeah, the Miami Herald story doesn’t offer much more. Would love to know more about his level of experience and general health. Sounds like a fairly easy dive unless there were currents involved.

Yeah, the Miami Herald story doesn’t offer much more. Would love to know more about his level of experience and general health. Sounds like a fairly easy dive unless there were currents involved.
I remember the Benwood wreck as rather boring but yeah an easy dive. The Gulf Stream passes nearby and just maybe currents could happen there, but rarely. The deceased diver is from Trinidad TX according to the article which is 15 miles from a popular dive quarry in Athens so it'd be easy for him to be a certified diver, but that's just guesswork. Our only hope is for someone who knew him in Texas or someone who was on the boat might chime in here.

Dubi, Danny, and I know a family member, and the information we received was that he was at the end of the first dive, the DM signaled to ascend, and then turned around to corral a few others, and when she looked back he was floating with a mask full of water and unconscious. They also stated that another diver came up in distress and was helicoptered to Miami, but all of that is 3rd hand delivered through other family members. No knowledge of skill level or health.

Back
Top Bottom