An actual legitimate use for spare air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is an illusion of a solution, a gimmick at best, that is sold capitalizing on people's fears (and lack of skills and knowledge) looking for a "security blanket" to make them feel better as if they are using something to actually enhance their safety but it is a gimmick.
IMHO, that is the real and present danger that comes with offering something that is far, far less than adequate. Is it better than nothing? Of course, it is.

My only sane response to this 'song that never ends' is to have S/A's filled with 50:50.

False analogy. A BC and exposure protection makes every dive easier and more comfortable. A Spare Air adds nothing except in highly unlikely and easily avoidable situations.

A valid analogy would be clipping a 5lb lift bag to your BC. Or carrying a neoprene vest in a pocket on your drysuit dive.
What training did you take where they said it would be easy or comfortable?

Kinda need a BC when I'm getting in the water with double 15L steel tanks, so it's hardly a gimmick.
Kinda need exposure protection when water temps here go down to 4 degrees celsius.
Kinda don't need a spare air though, there are better solutions for redundant gas IMO.
And what’s possible use could you have for such large tanks, double no less and diving in cold water is just nuts!

What training did you take where they said it would be easy or comfortable?
Ummm. All of it? Recreational diving isn't combat. The point of training and planning is to ensure your dives are well within your capabilities and physical limits. In other words, easy and comfortable.

In mountain climbing there’s a saying, “If you carry bivy gear, you’re gonna need it’”. Ie: if you carry the extra weight of emergency camping gear you’re going to need to camp. Speed and lightness = safety. There’s certainly an argument to be had about the pros and cons of those sentiments, but it could similarly be made here. If you carry spare air, perhaps you’ll be too comfortable having a backup that causes you to push your plan further than you should.

Ummm. All of it? Recreational diving isn't combat. The point of training and planning is to ensure your dives are well within your capabilities and physical limits. In other words, easy and comfortable.
So if a spare air gives someone a sense of added comfort, it ok?

For my location/conditions and my setup, I have no use for a spare air.

Some folks appear to value theirs. Nothing wrong with that, either.

DW

Spare air is for an emergency ascent from depth, either due to OOA or equipment failure. It`s NOT meant for a leisurely ascent from depth with a safety stop because you are lousy at monitoring your air. A few breaths can make a difference between a panicky breath hold ascent or a semi-controlled one that can save you from dying or getting bent. If you want a 19 or 40, fine, dive that. 99.9% of the time spare air or pony tank aren`t ever going to be used.

Spare air is for an emergency ascent from depth, either due to OOA or equipment failure. It`s NOT meant for a leisurely ascent from depth with a safety stop because you are lousy at monitoring your air. A few breaths can make a difference between a panicky breath hold ascent or a semi-controlled one that can save you from dying or getting bent. If you want a 19 or 40, fine, dive that. 99.9% of the time spare air or pony tank aren`t ever going to be used.
Lets hope it is over 99.9%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom