PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just received notice that I have a PayPal refund for 1 of the 2 units I ordered. Fingers crossed !

I've had a HDVSeaTek canister for about 3 years and it has had a minor leak on occasion, definitely more reliable when the oring is drowned in silicone.

Anyway, it is now leaking more regularly so I'm thinking I will replace the oring. Has anyone replaced their seatek oring with success? An idea what size it is?

Yes, I have also found when I use more than usual, it is better. The replacement info is below (confirmed by the seller who makes HDVSEATEK):

NBR 70 Duro
75.00 x 4.00mm

They are very inexpensive and I ordered a bunch of those and along with some Shearwater replacement o-rings for my Perdix computer and Perdix AI.

Yes, I have also found when I use more than usual, it is better. The replacement info is below (confirmed by the seller who makes HDVSEATEK:

NBR 70 Duro
75.00 x 4.00mm

They are very inexpensive and I ordered a bunch of those and along with some Shearwater replacement o-rings for my Perdix computer and Perdix AI.
Where did you order yours? On the other thread I linked, we discussed what those sizes mean, etc., got confused, cleared up the confusion, edited relative posts and finally settled on this source McMaster-Carr which gives a packet for "$7.20 for 10 and then shipping was $7.38 to me in California." I think they went up 20¢ since then.
kelemvor thought he got free shipping, but I don't believe that. I told him to check his credit card charge, but he never replied.

Edit: These look like the same O-rings, and I did email the company to be sure: 4mm x 75mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Rings [N4.00X075] : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

Ok, so their unit prices are a little higher, but the minimum order is 2 instead of 10, so one could order 2 with handling and shipping for $8.63. It'd be cheaper overall to order more than 2, but buyer's choice.

Where did you order yours? On the other thread I linked, we discussed what those sizes mean, etc., got confused, cleared up the confusion, edited relative posts and finally settled on this source McMaster-Carr which gives a packet for "$7.20 for 10 and then shipping was $7.38 to me in California." I think they went up 20¢ since then.
kelemvor thought he got free shipping, but I don't believe that. I told him to check his credit card charge, but he never replied.

These look like the same O-rings unless I goofed somewhere:

The correct ones should be ID 75mm and OD 83 mm. The part number on McMaster-Carr should be 1302N689. (That is where I ended up getting mine but I did get my Shearwater o-rings from the O-Ring store.) The one you linked to on the O-Ring store doesn't look like the right ID and OD.

I looked up my McMaster-Carr invoice since I archived it in my e-mail. I paid $7.20 for a pack of 10 and shipping was $7.38. Total was $15.23 with shipping to California so consistent with your quote. I take the o-ring out and grease it then bag it when I am not using it so it will last a long time. At the time of purchase, I either couldn't find the specific dimensions with anyone else or they were sold out...I can't remember which. While on the topic, if anyone else has a Shearwater Perdix and AI transmitter, here's what you need from the O-Ring store including what I paid late last year:

67 x AS568-016 B70 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile 70 Duro O-Ring (B70016) $1.005
19 x AS568-012 V75 Fluorocarbon FKM O-Rings 75 Durometer Black (V75012) $1.14
50 x AS568-112 B70 (NBR) Buna-N Nitrile 70 Duro O-Ring (B70112) $1.00
---------
Sub-Total: $3.145
USPS (First-Class™ Package Service): $5.96
Total: $9.105

I hope this helps.

Hey gang, anyone of you considering a flashlight/torch or camera housing for your PLB/EPIRB, might want to check out this post:

For Sale - Canadian Dollars but tons of gear !!

There are a couple of items that caught my eye thinking that they might do the trick.

@chillyinCanada Since the passing of our beloved friend Cameron @northerone, I've been carrying a PLB in a light monkey can. I serves multiple purposes besides potentially saving my life someday:
1. I can carry my car keys
2.Carry Rescue Mirror
3. Carry reflective warmup foil (name escapes me now)
and finally I carry a strobe on my left sided hip D-ring.

The strobe helps my buddies find me especially when the viz is real bad. It is so effective, now I give them one too. The other day I was 5 feet from my buddy; while I could not see him, I could see the strobe flashing.

3. Carry reflective warmup foil (name escapes me now)
and finally I carry a strobe on my left sided hip D-ring.

The strobe helps my buddies find me especially when the viz is real bad. It is so effective, now I give them one too. The other day I was 5 feet from my buddy; while I could not see him, I could see the strobe flashing.

They’re called space blankets. I carry that , a whistle, and mirror along with my plb in a LM case as well. Might start throwing my keys in there too.

Apologies for the slight derail, what kind of strobe do you use?

They’re called space blankets.
Which always was a dumb name for them. Also called exposure or emergency blankets.

Back
Top Bottom