A new dive computer from Oceans, with built-in buddy communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. When our buddywatcher buzzes, you can't miss it and you know it's meant for you. But other than that it is just a fancy tank banger. If you don't know what direction your buddy is, you should brush up on your buddy skills.
You should try diving monterey

You should try diving monterey

50F and 10' vis? :shudder:

I suspect kelp forest is less than ideal for ultrasound propagation, too.

50F and 10' vis? :shudder:

I suspect kelp forest is less than ideal for ultrasound propagation, too.
We are having great viz lately and warm water, 55° last time out :wink:

I like the concept of this but it seems pretty limited

It looks nice and the ping concept is interesting but when Anni pings me does it tell me where or what direction she happens to be? Otherwise isn’t it just an electronic tank banger?

We are experimenting on location tracking, however this is a really hard problem to solve underwater. The pings are limited to other paired devices and uses vibration for notification, you won’t annoy your other buddies (and wildlife) with a tank banger. It sounds simple, but takes diving to a new dimension and really becomes addictive on first use (and yes, I’m biased... :).

It sounds simple, but takes diving to a new dimension and really becomes addictive on first use (and yes, I’m biased... :).

Judging by my representative sample of 4 (the couple who showed us buddywatcher and my permabuddy and myself), yes, it is addictive. :D

PS. In case you don't know: buddywatcher has an option of pairing many units to one "dive master" -- obviously only useful if everyone in the group wears one -- but OTOH it's something that's easily doable in software, unlike triangulation, and it looks good in the marketing brochure.

Has anyone actually tried out this Dive Computer btw? I can't find any reviews about it. The only things I can find all mention that it's still available on Kickstarter which means they're quite outdated.

I've heard they're having some issues with compatible QI chargers (did not know there was such a thing as different QI Chargers) but that's pretty much it.

Back
Top Bottom