An actual legitimate use for spare air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...as if they are actually using something that would enhance their safety but it is a gimmick.

3 cuft of air can enhance one's safety 3 cuft, if one is expecting more, they are a fool. As far as any sales pitch goes, one should evaluate the product, not the sales pitch. A new, flashy, expensive car may attract beautiful women shown in the ad, but only 'till they find out all your money is tied up in car payments.

..if you carry the extra weight of emergency camping gear you’re going to need to camp. Speed and lightness = safety.

Using that logic, a 3 cuft bottle would be better than a 19 cuft bottle. A better plan would be to evaluate the dive plan and bring what is nessary.

Lets hope it is over 99.9%
Like you said, 99.9% isn’t that safe when you compare to the number of dives done in a year :)

Though, I am pretty sure he didn’t mean literally 99.9% but he meant to say ‘almost certainly’.

Reactions: BRT
The only use I see for spare air is to give you enough air to get to your buddy in case you are OOA at more than a couple metres away.

However for the same money you can get a 19 cuft tank and have a real reserve if you want.

Like you said, 99.9% isn’t that safe when you compare to the number of dives done in a year :)

Though, I am pretty sure he didn’t mean literally 99.9% but he meant to say ‘almost certainly’.

Exactly! Lets put it at 99.9999% for the truly anal retentive among us. ( I`m sure there are a few of us)

Exactly! Lets put it at 99.9999% for the truly anal retentive among us. ( I`m sure there are a few of us)
I wonder if it is 1 in a thousand, or 1 in 10,000. I suspect mechanical failures causing air loss are somewhere between the two.

There are millions of dives conducted every year, well, except for this year. I think the number must be even lower, perhaps one in a million.

I had an embarrassing situation where having spare air would have resolved it. We were in Banda Sea looking for schooling hammerheads. After cruising in about 100' depth for a few minutes, DM turned his head back towards us and put his fists over his temples (a signal for the hammerheads) and start finning hard. We followed him and began seeing the silhouette of the schooling of hammerheads. Unfortunately they saw us and started to swim deeper. DM gave up the chase and started to ascent. I looked at my SPG and saw that I had about 700 psi and thought I could swim down for a minute to get a better shot of the wall of the hammerheads in the blue. When I was done with the shots, I checked my SUUNTO D4 dive computer and shocked at the display showing that I had 12 minute DECO obligation at 10' to do. In the end I had to suck my tank empty at 10' depth, got some air from my dive buddy until he also ran out of air and CESA. Luckily DM had more air in his tank than 2 of us. He just unstrapped my D4 off my wrist and instructed me to do CESA and kept my D4 at 10' depth until the DECO obligation was met.

I had an embarrassing situation where having spare air would have resolved it. We were in Banda Sea looking for schooling hammerheads. After cruising in about 100' depth for a few minutes, DM turned his head back towards us and put his fists over his temples (a signal for the hammerheads) and start finning hard. We followed him and began seeing the silhouette of the schooling of hammerheads. Unfortunately they saw us and started to swim deeper. DM gave up the chase and started to ascent. I looked at my SPG and saw that I had about 700 psi and thought I could swim down for a minute to get a better shot of the wall of the hammerheads in the blue. When I was done with the shots, I checked my SUUNTO D4 dive computer and shocked at the display showing that I had 12 minute DECO obligation at 10' to do. In the end I had to suck my tank empty at 10' depth, got some air from my dive buddy until he also ran out of air and CESA. Luckily DM had more air in his tank than 2 of us. He just unstrapped my D4 off my wrist and instructed me to do CESA and kept my D4 at 10' depth until the DECO obligation was met.

This is so grossly embarrassingly stupid in every possible way. Textbook cases of what not to do. Several people could have gotten hurt or worse for stupid shark shots that are probably so bad, not worth it at all.

A dive computer doing the deco by itself and the owner is up on the deck of the boat sipping his drinks??? OMG, this reminds me of the old days when dive computers first came out in the market and people would tie their dive computers to a rope to do the deco time while they are on the boat. I thought that we learned enough to not do this again after all of these decades.

How'd you calculate your SI for your next dive? :)

This is so grossly embarrassingly stupid in every possible way. Textbook cases of what not to do. Several people could have gotten hurt or worse for stupid shark shots that are probably so bad, not worth it at all.

A dive computer doing the deco by itself and the owner is up on the deck of the boat sipping his drinks??? OMG, this reminds me of the old days when dive computers first came out in the market and people would tie their dive computers to a rope to do the deco time while they are on the boat. I thought that we learned enough to not do this again after all of these decades.

It's a good first and last lesson for me for sure.

The shots came out OK :)

Back
Top Bottom