Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PPS transmitter has one....
PPS: FCC ID MH8A

That said, as dive computers only have to receive the signal from a PPS transmitter, I doubt it will show up on a FCC report so we won't know if the Mk2i supports PPS until it is released (or someone gets hold of a manual).

I did go through a whole bunch of FCC reports for Garmin devices hoping to find the Mk2i but I couldn't find it. I found all the Fenix 6 range (which the Mk2 is meant to be based on) but nothing I could be sure was the Mk2 or Mk2i. What I was hoping for was the report would include the User Manual, as it did for the Garmin Transmitter and for the Mk1: FCC ID IPH-A3095

Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt they will support non-Garmin transmitters. I'm just saying that the scant info I've seen so far does not rule out the possibility.

If they went to all the trouble to (stupidly!) develop their own transmitter, then they are pretty unlikely (in my estimation) to give their customers a way to use some other company's transmitter instead. One, that would undercut their sales of their own transmitter, which I'm sure they will be trying their best to have recoup their R&D investment in transmitters. And, two, that would make it too easy for someone to compare the two types of transmitters in a real apples-to-apples manner, that might show that the PPS transmitter is better.
I very much agree and it is a really dumb decision in my opinion and will hurt their sales of both the Mk2i and their transmitter.

First, there is nothing at all wrong with the PPS transmitter and it works perfectly well for a number of bands of dive computers, including Shearwater and Oceanic. It does not really need to be improved on.

Second, many people (me included) already have PPS transmitters and computers that use them. If they were going to buy the Mk2i as a backup and wanted the AI function, they'd have to mount 2 transmitters on their first stage(s). This means you couldn't easily run an SPG also, if you wanted to.

I assume the Mk2 will come with the same warning the Mk1 does:
The diving features of this device are for use by certified divers only. This device should not be used as a sole dive computer. Failure to input the appropriate dive-related information into the device can lead to serious personal injury or death.
Bolding mine.
i.e. they expect people to dive with two computers.

Diving with two computers is a good idea but makes more sense to have two different computers (either two different models or two different manufacturers). They have effectively ruled out backing up the AI component other than people mounting two transmitters on their first stage(s).

I had been considering getting an Mk2i, but only if it supported PPS transmitters. I have three sets of regs, each with a PPS transmitter: Main set, Pony set which I use when diving with two tanks, Backup set which I use when either of the other two sets are in for service. I have been using my Perdix AI and Oceanic Atom 3.0 with the transmitters and so I had AI backup. My Atom recently died and can't be repaired. If the Mk2i supported PPS transmitters it would have made a good replacement.

Courtesy of @Allan Thorsteinsson This photo is a "snip" of the last post on the Garmin Forum.
GarminDescentMk2_1.PNG

The top pic looks like both PPS and Garmin transmitters are mounted on the first stage. If so, it appears the Garmin transmitter is quite a bit bigger?

The top pic looks like both PPS and Garmin transmitters are mounted on the first stage. If so, it appears the Garmin transmitter is quite a bit bigger?

I suspect that is just the angle of the one transmitter, being angled a bit towards the camera, compared to the other.

I suspect that is just the angle of the one transmitter, being angled a bit towards the camera, compared to the other.
By the way, Stuart, I think that confirms them not supporting the PPS transmitters if he has to have both on his reg set.

Said diver just violated their NDA with Garmin, which is pretty strict.
So he can only dive with other divers that have signed the NDA?

The photos weren't taken by the Garmin beta tester.

By the way, Stuart, I think that confirms them not supporting the PPS transmitters if he has to have both on his reg set.

How do you know he didn’t have them both displayed on his Descent, testing to make sure they read the same?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom