NTSB opens public docket on Conception fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Li-on batteries are not really considered flammable. They are certainly an ignition source when mishandled. I would not consider a flam locker an appropriate charging facility. It is designed to keep flames out, not in.
That's true but look at what they were doing... and the 120V outlet locations too. There is no way that passes the sniff test as professional

The value of cabinets is that the do keep flames from spreading, but they can't be thrown over board.

Charging bags can be thrown overboard, but with all the devices aboard do you provide them as a charter? or require them of passengers? and what about devices that dont fit in them like laptops?

That's true but look at what they were doing... and the 120V outlet locations too. There is no way that passes the sniff test as professional

The value of cabinets is that the do keep flames from spreading, but they can't be thrown over board.

Charging bags can be thrown overboard, but with all the devices aboard do you provide them as a charter? or require them of passengers? and what about devices that dont fit in them like laptops?
If I were doing it again, I’d put a big metal shelf above the camera table hanging from the overhead, with power run and a halon/CO2/FM200 built in flooding system with a plexiglas cover. Then I’d put a camera on it, although from the Spree Navigation station I would be able to see it. Plexiglass cover so I can see what’s going on there and to keep the salt spray out.

Or, I’d keep it right next to the captains chair as we did for years. You can smell the chargers get hot.

It all comes back to maintaining a proper watch. Engineered solutions are rarely as effective as human ones.

It all comes back to maintaining a proper watch. Engineered solutions are rarely as effective as human ones.

Based on the Vision fire a year before, I am imagining some engineered thing is necessary to slow down the spread in time for the watch to round and see it again - and either put it out like those passengers did or at the very least evacuate people from confined spaces. Assuming that a vessel the size of the conception takes 15mins to round on with some spaces taking more time and the central ones (like the salon) naturally end getting more attention because you have to walk by or through them to access other spaces or gear.

WTF??!!

If I saw that light over my bunk, I'd be like "nope,nope,nope. I guess I'll enjoy three days in SoCal beach diving!"

And they already had a charging fire that was only caught by passengers! This is what happens when you don't do debriefings on near misses. How was that not a "holy crap we were lucky! Maybe we should address this issue" company wide meeting.

And they already had a charging fire that was only caught by passengers! This is what happens when you don't do debriefings on near misses. How was that not a "holy crap we were lucky! Maybe we should address this issue" company wide meeting.

There was a charging issue on one of Truth’s other boats?!

There was a charging issue on one of Truth’s other boats?!
upload_2020-9-21_12-34-58.png

That's true
I think passenger bunk = below deck bunk. But because they used the word passenger, yet one of the crew routinely slept below decks its a bit hard to know if a mere crew person sleeping below the main deck would or wouldnt trigger this. They could have said whenever a "below deck bunk is occupied" but didnt. Not clear if that was an oversight or intentional. Since they had 30+ passengers aboard its not really a relevant distinction.

Having one of the crew sleep below decks with the passengers, is not a bad idea, in fact it's good. He/she can be a knowledgeable "hall monitor" if passengers get disoriented by smoke or night-lights not shining.

But it can't count as a "watchstander". What spooks me when looking at the general arrangement plan/side view, is the top-deck (wheelhouse) bunk area fully occupied, and the lowest level bunkroom space fully occupied, leaving that very big salon, galley, marine-head area (the largest interior space by far) in the mid-level, absolutely unpopulated.

If I were doing it again, I’d put a big metal shelf above the camera table hanging from the overhead, with power run and a halon/CO2/FM200 built in flooding system with a plexiglas cover. Then I’d put a camera on it, although from the Spree Navigation station I would be able to see it. Plexiglass cover so I can see what’s going on there and to keep the salt spray out.

Or, I’d keep it right next to the captains chair as we did for years. You can smell the chargers get hot.

The hierarchy of hazard controls is (best to worse):
Elimination
Substitution
Engineering Controls
Administrative Controls
PPE

So an engineered solution isn’t idea, but it is better than a policy that people have to follow (until they don’t). But a charging box/table also has that problem.

I’m not sure how elimination or substitution would work here. Given that people commonly buy dangerous but cheap battery packs I’m sure the problem will continue and I’m not sure how that can be stopped without banning rechargeables.

It will be interesting to see what the NTSB/USCG come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom