Boat Capsizes - Boynton Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I clenched at ~9 seconds when that bow started to swing around. There just wasn't enough time to make that turn and get the speed required to outrun that wave.

Were those surfers just past that wave when the boat turned?

That's a scary Inlet at the best of times... Hell, most of the inlets down here are scary... If its not the water, it's the jet skis and other boats...

I clenched at ~9 seconds when that bow started to swing around. There just wasn't enough time to make that turn and get the speed required to outrun that wave.

That's a scary Inlet at the best of times... Hell, most of the inlets down here are scary... If its not the water, it's the jet skis and other boats...

Yes, I believe those were surfers just past the wave that swamped the boat when it turned.

Yes, I believe those were surfers just past the wave that swamped the boat when it turned.
I can't imagine that decision, the boat looked like it was headed right for the surfers...

Turn back into the Inlet or possibly run over people in the water....

Yeah..power to get nose up and hold bow into the wave was called for, turning was a REALLY bad idea.

I just saw the surfers on a second watch after comment above..looked like no good choice...

That sucks.

That is an awesome video! I thought he was doing so well. Even the decision to RUN was executed quickly, but he didn't have/use enough power to stay out front. He ALMOST made it.

I'm not sure he could have blasted through the wave he bailed on. A big enough wave would have just stood him up and flipped him straight on his back.

I sure hope I am never required to prove any of these ideas in a real situation.

It looks like maybe 4 of the passengers are tossed out on the initial roll. One sticks it out, maybe the captain as they would have had hands on something to keep steady.

That is an awesome video! I thought he was doing so well. Even the decision to RUN was executed quickly, but he didn't have/use enough power to stay out front. He ALMOST made it.

I'm not sure he could have blasted through the wave he bailed on. A big enough wave would have just stood him up and flipped him straight on his back.

I sure hope I am never required to prove any of these ideas in a real situation.
I think he could have made the wave before it broke and not stood him on tail. But after looking the second time at the video and surfers directly in front of him in said wave... Could have killed someone. He made the best call he could and yeah..a little faster in the turn may have saved it, but would have likely been swamped from behind.

The surfers really shouldn't be in the inlet. I know why they are but they are a hazard to navigation

As I look at it in more detail. He tried to go straight out from the inlet. I think there is always a bar right off the inlet.

My understanding of that inlet, which is not perfect, is that you come out a little, then head straight SOUTH for a few hundreds yards and then try to head offshore. You can sorta see that it is deeper south from the drone footage when looking south.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom