Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have to tie a knot in a crotch strap in order to save $1000, I will tie a knot in that strap before you can say "value-conscious shopper".

isn’t that an equipment fix (O3) to a skills problem (tying a knot)???

I look at it the other way around, you have wasted $1000 buying a suit with suspenders and crotch strap that don't work and you have to resort to a "work around" to get them to work. God knows what else isn't working right and you have to make do to get it to work :p

Just DIR in buying when you first buy!!!

(This thread's name should be amended to include "for the frugal diver" at the end)

you have wasted $1000 buying a suit with suspenders and crotch strap that don't work

I have a perfectly serviceable Seaskin, with great suspenders and crotch strap. To answer the original question, they come with additional length so you can choose what you want to do with them, like the Shearwater perdix straps (I dont believe I wasted $1000 on a dive computer because there's excess length on the straps, btw).

Like the Perdix, you can cut them to a length you like or just leave them and tuck the slack into the strap as needed (which is my answer to the Perdix as well as the Seaskin)

God knows what else isn't working right and you have to make do to get it to work
Really, Burhan? That's the type of FUDD selling BS I hate so much. An excess length of strap has ZERO bearing on any other part of the drysuit and you know that as well as I do. The valves are the same brands as any other DS, the seals are either a 3rd party brand like SiTech etc or they are neoprene. Either the suit leaks (which I have heard stories of brand new leaky suits from EVERY manufacturer including O3) or it doesn't. If it leaks, Seaskin will repair/replace the suit, exactly the same as any other manufacturer, if it doesnt then where is the problem?

I can't speak to the efficiency of the Seaskin warranty department, since I have had zero issues of any kind with mine in the nearly 3 years I have been diving it.

I look at it the other way around, you have wasted $1000 buying a suit with suspenders and crotch strap that don't work and you have to resort to a "work around" to get them to work. God knows what else isn't working right and you have to make do to get it to work :p

Just DIR in buying when you first buy!!!

(This thread's name should be amended to include "for the frugal diver" at the end)

I don't see how I wasted $1000, when the suit only COST me $1000. And it has been keeping me dry during my dives for the last 2 years.

But, if I had spent $2000 and all I got for the extra money was a crotch strap and suspenders that didn't have extra length, then I would definitely feel like i wasted $1000.

@RainPilot - LOL! It's okay, man. Burhan just likes to tease me about my champagne tastes and beer budget. :D

I don't see how I wasted $1000, when the suit only COST me $1000. And it has been keeping me dry during my dives for the last 2 years.

You forgot shipping costs.

But, I had spent $2000 and all I got for the extra money was a crotch strap and suspenders that didn't have extra length, then I would definitely feel like i wasted $1000.

There is always duct tape, the greatest American invention.

LOL! It's okay, man. Burhan just likes to tease me about my champagne tastes and beer budget.

You deserve nothing but the best of wines in the world (non-alcoholic of course) with the best of steaks :)

I am looking at purchasing a Nova drysuit. There are two features I was not sure sure about which option to pick even after reading through this thread.

I was thinking either the SiTech Trigon Pee Valve, or the Light Monkey "Tinkle" Balance P-valve. Not super familiar with pee valves so any input on which of these or the other available options you think would be best would be greatly appreciated.

For neck seals I was thinking replaceable was the way to go. I am leaning Quick neck system, but is there any advantage to the Orust system? Also I was thinking the standard neck warmer over the simple.

I am looking at purchasing a Nova drysuit. There are two features I was not sure sure about which option to pick even after reading through this thread.

I was thinking either the SiTech Trigon Pee Valve, or the Light Monkey "Tinkle" Balance P-valve. Not super familiar with pee valves so any input on which of these or the other available options you think would be best would be greatly appreciated.

For neck seals I was thinking replaceable was the way to go. I am leaning Quick neck system, but is there any advantage to the Orust system? Also I was thinking the standard neck warmer over the simple.
A lot of people like the quick neck systems, but I am personally happy with my decision to stick with the standard neoprene neck seal. It works well, is warm, and seems to be robust. I’ve heard some people complain that the ring system is heavy and if you are narrow shouldered can be uncomfortable if it interacts with your BCD straps.

two other things. 1) you can save 100 bucks and 2) (personally) I think the drysuits look cooler without the neck ring system.

my thought is, it comes down to what happens if your neck seal tears. If you’re a professional or view missing even a single dive as unacceptable, clearly ring systems are superior. Otherwise, I think there are benefits to an integrated neoprene neck seal.

I don’t have a pee valve so I can’t help on that one, sorry. All I know is, MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN IT after you finish diving. I’ve read too many stories about UTIs from people using them recently. Don’t risk that!

Back
Top Bottom