Anyone shooting with the Sony a6500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tneal15

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an a6500 and am looking at getting a full setup. I currently have a 35mm f1.8 lens, but need the housing, tray, and strobe. I plan on using the camera for a little video, but mainly wider angle shots and low light shots since I love wreck diving.

Who is shooting with this camera and what setup do you have?

Thanks,

Troy

I am using an A6000 with the 16-55mm PZ kit lens and the 10-18mm f/4 lenses. I plan on upgrading the kit lens to the Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lens. I use a Nauticam housing and the 7inch Nauticam dome port.

When the A6500 first came out, there were a lot of very favourable reviews of it in a Fantasea housing.

Sony A6500 Underwater Review with Fantasea FA6500 Housing | Mozaik UW

Sony a6500 Underwater Camera Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Do you have any pictures I can see since our cameras are pretty much the same? Also are you using a pump to put a neg pressure on the housing?

Do you have any pictures I can see since our cameras are pretty much the same? Also are you using a pump to put a neg pressure on the housing?
Yes is do use a pump. (I have the Nauticam Vacuum system.)

Here are some pics from a trip on the Aquacat shot with that camera (both above & below the surface).

I have an A6500 in a nauticam housing. I use, primarily, a Zen DP-170 dome and the Sony 16mm pancake with the WA or Fisheye adapter.

The vacuum system is the bomb and the Nauticam housing has a space for an auxiliary battery, which is key.

Yes is do use a pump. (I have the Nauticam Vacuum system.)

Here are some pics from a trip on the Aquacat shot with that camera (both above & below the surface).
great photos!

I have an A6500 in a nauticam housing. I use, primarily, a Zen DP-170 dome and the Sony 16mm pancake with the WA or Fisheye adapter.

The vacuum system is the bomb and the Nauticam housing has a space for an auxiliary battery, which is key.
ok thank you for the info. This will help me narrow my decision down.

I'm using the Sony A6500 in a SeaFrogs housing with a Nauticam tray and Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobes. It's a great budget setup that is rated for 60m which should cover a wide range of depths for wrecks. If you're a Tech diver and wanted to hit wrecks that are deeper, I would recommend getting something like a Nauticam perhaps that's rated to handle deeper depths. As you wanted to take wreck shots, I would recommend maybe the Sony 10-18 lens. You could go with something like the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens if you wanted fisheye kinda shots or maybe even the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm lens for some wide angle shots.

Another WA option is the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom on a Sigma MC-11 adapter. That's what I went with, and it's significantly cheaper than the Sony 10-18.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom