What is the cost to get OW certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I forgot to add that mask, snorkel, fins, and boots are not included in the $350.00 I mentioned earlier. So to buy these items new, the total spent would be around $500.00-$550.00 per person.

The total/all in cost is likely going to be $500-600 per person (including personal gear). Could be cheaper if they opt to do OW dives somewhere that doesn’t require an access fee or charter cost.

Keep in mind that even if they intend to rent equipment, they still have to buy “personal gear.” I did not see a single shop or independent instructor locally that didn’t require people to purchase that. Ex. Mask, fins (boots if applicable), and snorkel. Depending on how much they want to spend on that stuff, that’s ~$200/ person.

Politely point out that if they go out and buy bargain basement personal gear (ex. Fins) hoping to save a buck, they’re just going to end up spending more money when the fins break within 20 dives (my case) or the snorkel pops out of the crappy plastic retainer (my case).

On personal gear...it might not be a bad idea to just buy used stuff off Craigslist, sanitize it thoroughly, use that to see if they’re even interested, resell it if they get the bug, and buy “good” stuff at that point.
Yep, I used a Body Gear mask and snorkel that I bought at Costco as a snorkeling set for ~30 dives. The shop was willing to let me use any mask with "Tempered" on the glass and any snorkel. I think it was $20-30. Can't touch even a mask alone in most dive shops for twice that price. They were fine, eventually the mask cracked from use, but given that most people don't keep up the sport, I'd say it's a good choice.

In theory you can also save money by doing a referral, since the certification dives then become "part of your vacation" and are probably in a lower cost area, but that doesn't seem like a good deal. For one thing, better to find out while you're still home that there's an issue with your ears, or whatever, so you have time to fix it. For another, the dives are supposed to be the fun part. Much better to spend your dive vacation actually diving, rather than doing unpleasant skills! I'm 50 dives in and have never had to clear a fully flooded mask.

They should contact the shop or shops they're considering, preferably in person, and ask specific questions designed to suss out the all-in cost, which most shops seem to take pains to conceal. Specifically they should find out:
- the cost of the course
- any additional materials cost (e.g. for the book, DVD, or eLearning, which sounds like it ought to be covered by the course price but might not be)
- the cost of rental gear for the entire course (and make sure that includes a computer, or else find out how much additional that will cost)
- the cost of personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, booties) that must be purchased
- any fees for the use of the pool, quarry, etc., parking fees for any of the places you're going, cost of the boat ride and expected crew tips, and any other add-ons
- any referral fees if not completing certification locally
- the cost to make up any missed sessions due to illness, or for an additional session if one or both of them need more help to master the skills.

They should also assume there might be things they end up buying that aren't on this list. Many swimsuits don't work well under wetsuits, and lots of folks find rash guards or dive skins a worthwhile investment. Long-haired folks often have a trial and error process figuring out how to manage that nuisance. Some people are squicked out by rental regs, especially now, and decide to at least buy their own mouthpiece. Rental wetsuits can also have an ick factor. Your rental gear probably won't include an SMB, whistle, or other safety devices, and you might want those. You may want your own computer. Even once you've bought a full set of gear, and you tell your husband that now you can dive for just the cost of gas and an air fill, there will always be more (expensive!) things you feel you need to buy. Good luck.

Our LDS in the Portland, OR area charges $489 for PADI OW, with the open water portion in Puget Sound. But you have to provide your own SCUBA mask, snorkel, fins, inflatable safety surface signaling device, and also pay for travel expenses to the Puget Sound area and tank fills while there.

In Taiwan, we obtained our PADI in Kenting (southern tip of Taiwan) for approximately $360 which included lodging for 2 nights, breakfast/lunch, and a free snorkel/mask set.

Both of these are 2020 prices.

The shop here provides boots and checkout dives are 40 minute drive away, so only gas for that. So as someone pointed out early on, it depends on where you are. No way to know until you contact shop(s) and ask. Just be sure they tell you the total costs. Same thing if you do a referral-- how much $ to each place?

I certified via a university-affiliated course, all gear included and we all already had the (university) pool membership. I.e. it is possible to pay around $350, but I think for most people the realistic number is going to be closer to $500.

My neighbor and her boyfriend want to get OW certified so when they go on vacation they can scuba dive. She asked me how much it would cost, and given it's been 14 years since I got OW, I could not answer her questions. I could not give her a guess as to how much it cost me.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much OW certification costs these days? They don't own any equipment so would need to rent gear for the class.

Thanks in advance.
Different areas different costs involved. Here in New York we charge $300 for confined water in a group scheduled course water(pool) $200 for online eLearning and student to provide personal gear of scuba quality mask fins boots snorkel , usually in $250 range. Ow training dives $350, includes rentals. Puts you in $1100 range. Can opt for referral form To do training dives elsewhere which we can easily supply at no charge. If student purchases regulator with alternate air, bcd, computer we credit $300 back(cost of confined water fee) towards purchase of the gear.

Different areas different costs involved. Here in New York we charge $300 for confined water in a group scheduled course water(pool) $200 for online eLearning and student to provide personal gear of scuba quality mask fins boots snorkel , usually in $250 range. Ow training dives $350, includes rentals. Puts you in $1100 range. Can opt for referral form To do training dives elsewhere which we can easily supply at no charge. If student purchases regulator with alternate air, bcd, computer we credit $300 back(cost of confined water fee) towards purchase of the gear.
Wow. I know you have the costs of going to Dutch Springs for the weekend. So it's $500 total for pool & e learning. Then add $350 for the checkout weekend. So even if you own your own mask, fins, snorkel, boots that's $850 (about $1,100 Canadian). How much does the BCD,reg & DC cost in order to get the $300 back? I assume you have to buy them new?
I guess that's the cost of things in NY--always was a more expensive place.
I guess it comes more into line if they buy the BC, reg, DC at the shop, which they have to buy somewhere anyway. But still, you could take the course here without rental fee and buy your own stuff next year or whenever (or keep renting like some people do if they don't dive too regularly).
Here of course we have no overnighting for the checkout dives with the coast right close, and no charge for basic equipment (BCD, tanks, regs, suits, etc.). Cost for the whole thing is about $450 C ($330US). That includes pool, elearning, checkout weekend.
Too bad you guys don't have somewhere appropriate (with legal parking) close enough for the checkout weekend that didn't involved staying overnight in motel. But obviously you've long ago checked that out.

Be cautious in comparing pricing. While the course cost appears to be pretty comparable, you need to look at the inclusions and exclusions. Gear, in or rental, dive area fees in or out, boat fees in or out, agency fee in or out, etc.

Right now I am diving with Cebu Dive Centre in Moalboal Philippines, they are around the 15,000 PHP mark or $US 300. ( I think that the SDI c card is less than the PADI due to course material cost.) That is everything included and I was told that you get lifetime gear rental included. So for someone coming here and wanting to dive a lot for a few months, you could easily save the price of the course in after course gear rentals.

For what it's worth, My original OW cert was done over Xmas and New Year 1995/96 and it was in total about $500 CDN to do it as a split course. ($CDN 250 for the classroom and pool training in Canada plus another $US 200 for the training in Jamaica)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom