NTSB opens public docket on Conception fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay home if you’re scared.

Me, scared?

No - TA, they never were on my radar.

Now when it comes to ice climbing, you bet I am often scared, well you know the saying.

Gotta admit that the photo of their boat burnt to the waterline was scary. Probably not the best marketing photo in the history of SCUBA?

You?

Have you been diving with TA since the fire? It’s actions that count, not web postings. Have you splashed some cash their way? Have you put your fanny in the bunk furthest from the escape ladder/hatch for an overnight trip?

You are a TA fan, surely in the know, are they operating SCUBA trips on theIr boats that didn’t burn and sink?

Nothing has changed as far as I’m concerned, I would dive truth aquatics again with no worry. I may end up up going out with them again since we can’t go to Curaçao.

I might too, if they had a real-life watchstander in the salon who stays awake after the last galley hand turns in, and is taught what to do if there’s anything amiss. whether it’s a fire or something else.
Also a second door in the wheelhouse.
You’re not suggesting otherwise?

Me, scared?

No - TA, they never were on my radar.

Now when it comes to ice climbing, you bet I am often scared, well you know the saying.

Gotta admit that the photo of their boat burnt to the waterline was scary. Probably not the best marketing photo in the history of SCUBA?

You?

Have you been diving with TA since the fire? It’s actions that count, not web postings. Have you splashed some cash their way? Have you put your fanny in the bunk furthest from the escape ladder/hatch for an overnight trip?

You are a TA fan, surely in the know, are they operating SCUBA trips on theIr boats that didn’t burn and sink?
More danger in the mountains
Skier Deaths
. I have not dove with them for some time, it’s a long drive for me and for the same money (pre Covid) I can get more diving by flying to the Caribbean, I dive cold water pretty much every week, they go to water that is only a little warmer. They need to come up with some solution to today’s need to charge things in a place that was never designed for it, I assume the have or will.
This was a tragic accident, little chance the same will happen again and I’ll wait to see what becomes of the case before I pass judgement on truth or the crew.

I might too, if they had a real-life watchstander in the salon who stays awake after the last galley hand turns in, and is taught what to do if there’s anything amiss. whether it’s a fire or something else.
Also a second door in the wheelhouse.
You’re not suggesting otherwise?
I’m assuming they will make necessary changes, if they survive.

I’m assuming they will make necessary changes, if the survive.
Why assume that? They have been (allegedly) blatantly violating the law for decades and basically have no safety culture. Safety was a check the box thing for them, and if was inconvenient, well we can just lie and check that box anyhow.

Which is how you had crewmen who had no idea how to fight fires, because (allegedly) the people who had an obligation to ensure they knew how to perform the safety related duties hadn’t gotten around to doing their job.

I’d say you should wait until the NTSB report comes out and at least read the summary. The likely prosecution of the captain is also going to be interesting.

Why assume that? They have been (allegedly) blatantly violating the law for decades and basically have no safety culture. Safety was a check the box thing for them, and if was inconvenient, well we can just lie and check that box anyhow.

Which is how you had crewmen who had no idea how to fight fires, because (allegedly) the people who had an obligation to ensure they knew how to perform the safety related duties hadn’t gotten around to doing their job.

I’d say you should wait until the NTSB report comes out and at least read the summary. The likely prosecution of the captain is also going to be interesting.
Observed on how many of their trips? Or just relying on the online Lynch mob?

Stay home if you’re scared.

So @boulderjohn, here’s a likely subject for your question of how can one support TA.

I posted something elsewhere about people playing chicken by not wearing face masks. Seems the same sentiment here. Despite every evidence to the contrary, such as choosing safety over impossible hatches and substandard wiring, no night watch, and too many LiPo battery rechargers, this person has decided it’s better to play chicken than stay home. And that people who chose safety are scaredy cats. IMO has a grade school feel to it, but I’m not a psychologist.

Observed on how many of their trips? Or just relying on the online Lynch mob?
Did you read the docket?

View attachment 613334

View attachment 613331

They had a previous battery charger fire on one of their other boats, as noted in the docket, and only quick action by paying customers put out the fire. You’d think that would prompt some kind of change of practice if they are such a tip top outfit, no? Details in the link below in case it was missed.

View attachment 613335

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Closed for review and cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom