New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For folks who have vinyl wrapped their DPVs: I got a couple of swatches of vinyl wrap. One just didn't work. But the other worked much like the wraps on the YouTube car wrap videos. However, I did a test in which I put a square on the tube and heated it and pressed on it, and another where I put a square on the tube and pressed on it without heating it. After awhile I peeled them each up, and it didn't seem as if the heated square had stuck any more firmly than the unheated square. Is heating just to make stretching easier, which I pretty much wouldn't be doing anyway except near the edge? Because I'm wondering how it makes a difference.

I worked with vinyl for a few years as a part time job through high school. You really only need to heat the vinyl for odd angles, and if you end up with a wrinkle you need to smooth out. Vinyl can also very quickly deteriorate, melt, and turn into a hole so use sparingly and use low heat (hair dryer if your new to vinyl on the lowest setting)

The heat does absolutely nothing for the adhesion of the vinyl to the underlying material. As always I suggest the soapy water and squeeze application method (you can make the tool for $2 with parts from dollar tree).

As always I suggest the soapy water and squeeze application method.

I probably should have experimented with soapy water. But I did get this:

upload_2020-9-9_20-30-55.jpeg

I probably should have experimented with soapy water. But I did get this:

View attachment 610997

@pauldw - lookin’ slick, brother.

What’s your weighting for the nose cone turned out to be with the GoPro rig attached?

I have my compass mounted aft on the trigger frame with the @Patrick Sadowski mount so I probably won’t have to remove as much shot as you but your weighting will give me a good reference point for when I add my GoPro.

I’m currently at 625g for salt water but could probably stand to lose another 25g.

Also, did you adjust to keep it nose high at rest? I dig that feature...at the deco stop I toss it between my legs where it rides high and behind me thus clearing my workspace.

I think it’s an awesome little scooter for soft overhead diving.

No problems so far bouncing around aircraft and customs but still have some sticky flights left so the fat lady hasn’t sung her final piece yet.

@pauldw - lookin’ slick, brother.

What’s your weighting for the nose cone turned out to be with the GoPro rig attached?

I have my compass mounted aft on the trigger frame with the @Patrick Sadowski mount so I probably won’t have to remove as much shot as you but your weighting will give me a good reference point for when I add my GoPro.

I’m currently at 625g for salt water but could probably stand to lose another 25g.

Also, did you adjust to keep it nose high at rest? I dig that feature...at the deco stop I toss it between my legs where it rides high and behind me thus clearing my workspace.

I think it’s an awesome little scooter for soft overhead diving.

No problems so far bouncing around aircraft and customs but still have some sticky flights left so the fat lady hasn’t sung her final piece yet.

I’m inland, and I have only got it out in the ocean once. I just ran with the weight plate and the thin plate, and that was close enough for rec diving.

My BlackTip arrived today! Yay! Thank you, Deep6 Gear, @LandonL, @cerich! I can’t wait to get it in the water!

Now, can somebody tell me what’s up with the display for the battery meter?

It has what looks like a red magic marker swoosh in the corner. Is that some kind of protective film I’m supposed to peel off? When I power up the scooter, I can see the battery meter displayed.

View attachment 573716
Take the display plastic off

So, finally got settled back into my work home after a bunch of flights, customs checks and a two week mandatory quarantine in a pretty austere room with only a bed and a chair. My DPV case conveniently served as my dining table three times a day.

upload_2020-10-4_9-11-34.jpeg

During travel, I didn’t get any questions about the DPV except at one spot in Qatar by a young guy but it was driven more by curiosity than suspicion. I had a couple of TDI course books in the shipping case for point-and-talk reference in the event I hit a major obstacle but I didn’t.

Only one security check had concerns about the PTBs in my dedicated carry-on case. I was prepared with:

(1) a printout of the IATA Dangerous Good Regulations and Lithium Battery Shipping Guidance

(2) the manufacturer’s material safety data sheet with all declared specifications showing the batteries were within the IATA’s regulations

(3) each airline’s authorized type and quantity of batteries

The youngster running the scanner at my very last security check throughout five countries was a little agitated and called for his supervisor. While we were waiting on his supervisor, I opened up and laid out everything for inspection to include my highlighted documentation in sequence from IATA down to the carrier’s policy. Almost as if scripted, the security supervisor arrived, quickly deduced I had done my homework, smiled and waved me on.

upload_2020-10-4_9-11-3.jpeg

I’ve got two dives under my belt now with the BlackTip in the Red Sea. Quite happy with the 60 min planned runtime. That’s a prudent 70% of the total runtime of the 9Ah batteries. When I get back to the States, I will definitely upgrade to the 12Ah batteries since they yield an 86 min planned runtime and that fits my dive personality a lot better. Nonetheless, the 9Ah battery option greatly extends one’s exploration potential.

I’m not sure what the fuss is (was?) all about with the nose high trim. I quite like that I can toss the BlackTip behind me clearing my workspace for a gas switch or a buoy shoot. I also don’t notice any problems or perceptible drag when finning. I’m sure there is some drag but it’s not enough to make me feel penalized. In fact, on yesterday’s 2hr dive, I had to check several times to make sure it was still there behind me. Loyal dog he was.

Perhaps I’m naïve as a new DPV acolyte but I think Dive Xtras really hit the nail on the head...the BlackTip travels well, charges rapidly and gets you on target quickly or takes the edge off of multi-hour exploratory dives along a reef or coast.

I’ve got a Trimix wall dive coming up on Friday looking for HHs and confidence is high the BlackTip will exponentially maximize our 24 minute BT.

Thanks to @Deep Six for the sale and @LandonL for the training.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-4_9-9-8.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-4_9-9-8.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 75
Follow up...

The Nanuk 960 case is well worth the money for your BlackTip.

Mine went through a crucible trip with the entire gamut of air and ground handling to include getting heaved on and off ferry trucks and me dragging it through 300 yards of gravel and sand. Like a Timex, it takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’. I look forward to traveling with my BlackTip again in a few months.

Reading the manual, it says that the travel tube trims out better with the smaller/lighter batteries.... How drastic of a difference is it?

Has anyone tried the new 8ah packs? They're the same size as the 5 and 6ah packs.

DeWalt DCB208 20 Volts MAX 8.0AH Lithium Ion Battery

I have used the Waitley 9ah batteries and the (significantly heavier than the Waitley) DeWalt 9ah. The DeWalt 9ah and 12ah are the same weight from what I understand. I didn't notice a difference between the two as far as trim goes once the scooter was neutral.

Back
Top Bottom