Atomic Z2 Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SHaase

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving the same regulator setup since I started diving back in 2005 (an Atomic Z2 with a Scubapro R295 octo) and have finally decided to change it up bit. My plan was to switch from rubber to braided hoses as well as to switch to a primary donate setup with my backup on a necklace. While I only have about 250 dives on this setup, I've been happy with it as it Just Works.

When I replaced my rubber hoses with braided, everything was fine until I discovered that my Scubapro needed a different tool to undo the hose. I don't have that tool and apparently neither do either of the local dive shops near me, so I'd need to either buy the tool which is pretty expensive or head to dive shops further away. This got me thinking about whether I should just consider replacing my Scubapro octo altogether.

With the new primary donate setup, I like the idea of my alternate second stage being the same as my primary so I looked at the Atomic Z2 octo and it seemed like a reasonable choice as it should function the same as my primary Z2 and it's only about $300. On the other hand, I wasn't sure if it made more sense to take this opportunity to upgrade to a different one (B2, ST1, T3, etc). While I've been happy with my Z2, I've never dove with anything else so I just have a bit of FOMO since maybe I just don't know what I'm missing with other regs. :)

=tbn%3AANd9GcT2SIhZQlvb_m1C0TQ_ksdFTT5_rslEsX5KsCgNT321O_-Hu9sbhkEp9U72oVKivKPb7SzR9Aus&usqp=CAc.jpg

I also use an adjustable wrench, although mine has a dark blue handle so it's better :wink:. If you want the fancy one you can get it here for $25 Splined Wrench for Scubapro

I bet you could find it on thingiverse and 3d print it... Edit: Yes, you can: Scubapro S600 Tool (Hose spline wrench) by egeneste If you've got a 3d printer, it's probably about $1 in plastic, or you could send the design off to have someone else print it for under $10

I'm pretty sure I saw an atomic octo (second stage only) for sale on scubaboard in the last hour or two if you want to go that route.

I printed the version of the tool without a handle. Took 45 mins on my laser sla. Probably 4 or 5 minutes on a regular fdm printer.
upload_2020-9-23_17-36-54.png

I work on AA regs for fun (and often sell them on SB). All of the AA regs breath exactly alike, the only difference are the materials and the trim bling. I like to advocate that a backup second stage be as good as one's primary and be from the same mfg so to make servicing easy. So I am in the camp of get another AA second stage. Further, I am in the camp of do not be afraid to buy a used one for half the price of new.

crab/lobster cracker. the z2 octo is good, but costs a lot for just an octo.
When we sell an atomic regulator and whenever a customer needs a alternate air source we sell them a simple Sherwood oct at a cost of about $140 rather than $300 atomic one.

When we sell an atomic regulator and whenever a customer needs a alternate air source we sell them a simple Sherwood oct at a cost of about $140 rather than $300 atomic one.

Doesn't the Sherwood reg require yearly service, vs the Atomic 2-year (or 3 for some models) interval? Seems like doing the customer a disservice by doing that...

As far as the general conversation though, I had my rig set up with a Z2 Octo for a long time, along side by B2 primary. They breathe the same, just the Octo didn't have the swivel hose, which was no big loss on the Octo. I ended up switching to an SS1 when I started instructing, since that's what the shop loaner gear uses. The Z2 will end up on a set of newly acquired backup regs shortly (also B2's).

Doesn't the Sherwood reg require yearly service, vs the Atomic 2-year (or 3 for some models) interval? Seems like doing the customer a disservice by doing that...

As far as the general conversation though, I had my rig set up with a Z2 Octo for a long time, along side by B2 primary. They breathe the same, just the Octo didn't have the swivel hose, which was no big loss on the Octo. I ended up switching to an SS1 when I started instructing, since that's what the shop loaner gear uses. The Z2 will end up on a set of newly acquired backup regs shortly (also B2's).
Requires annual inspection bi annual service. Stay on schedule and parts are free.

Back
Top Bottom