Opening Of Indonesia pushed to end of 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They were testing all holiday passengers on arrival, without the need to get yourself a PCR test prior to checking in to your flight.
Out of curiosity, how do they handle passengers until the results are out??

That's were Greek system failed - or I wouldn't say it failed but it causes a lot of problems. The sensible (but difficult to implement) thing is to test everybody and keep passengers quarantined until results are out. But travel agents didn't accept this, not to mention it is not practical to keep all these tourists in quarantine hotels for 1-2 days and then move them.

Hence our government accepted to do sample testing (a "novel" algorithm picks the most suspect passengers based on their background to be tested). These passengers then are let practically free (suggested to self quarantine until results are out). Problem is that quite some positives are not identified by this procedure and/or tourists just run away and hence fresh cases are introduced almost daily to the community. The result is that now we have 300+ daily cases (increasing) while back in July we had less than 10 for several weeks. Hospitals are starting to feel the pressure as ICU beds are getting full.

All these to get probably less than 20% of the tourists compared to other years (and even less revenue because those who come are very "tight").

My wife works in a big-ish 5 star hotel (330 rooms). They opened for August and September only (a normal season runs from Aprir to October) hoping to get Scandinavians who didn't finally make it (their countries didn't allow traveling or imposed 2 weeks quarantine to returning travelers - hence nobody dared to leave). Highest occupancy they achieved was 50ish rooms for a couple of weeks - I am pretty sure their total income is not enough to cover even electricity bills.

Overall only time will show if it worths it - but I highly doubt it.

Pcr is not trustable without or only mild symptoms. I have worked with pcr. It only states there is a part of a virus found. Not if it is still active. To know if you are really infected, you need a bloodtest. In Tanzania papayas tested positive.

Out of curiosity, how do they handle passengers until the results are out??
I had my results in less than 24h, I was tested around 9PM and got a mail at 11AM on the next day confirming I was safe.
They ask for a local adress and a local contact, who has the responsability of calling any emergency service if you happen to have symptoms.
I traveled Georgia for a week with a private guide, not everyday but on the day I was in his company, he had to take my temperature (Just frontal, ok?) and note it down. Every hotel restaurant or shop you'd enter, you would stand on a sanitized mat while a staff would take your temp (still frontal, right.) .

My daughter was in Greece in august, she wasn't selected for being tested but it's true Greek geography doesnt help as most of the tourist would fly out to the islands on the same day of their arrival and they're gone AWOL.
Georgia has kept from the soviet times that impeccable almost military organization, but all in all a very very nice country to visit (espacially for who likes wine!) they definitely managed the pandemia very well compared to its neighbors (Armenia was hardly hit for example)

Here you need to wait 4 days to get tested an 4 days to get a result. This means if you was ill, you are already healthy again when you get the result. :D

Pcr is not trustable without or only mild symptoms. I have worked with pcr. It only states there is a part of a virus found. Not if it is still active. To know if you are really infected, you need a bloodtest. In Tanzania papayas tested positive.
PCR test determines whether you are carrying virus at a certain moment. It doesn't say whether you are contagious or not, in fact nobody knows at what exact level of virus charge you are contagious. Once you understand that, you cant' say it is not trustable. Have you read the link I have provided?

Papaya and goat stories are fairytales for the Tanzanian prez who didn't like to have COVID cases reported in his country, there was also 20 years ago a South African politician who denied AIDS was a sexually borne virus.

Blood tests do not report the infection immediately, you can be carrying the virus and be highly contagious however don't produce any antibodies because it is too early in the infection. Blood tests are useless in terms of instantaneous viral charge, at first stage of infection PCR are more accurate than blood tests.

Believe what you want to believe, but respect each other. Here is no risk. And cyclists in tour the france where tested positive and 2 hours later negative. So trustable it is. Maybe different somewhere else, but here it says nothing.

Depends on the pcr that is being used. Our pcr has a control to test for the human gene.

The beauty of it, is that even if the gene is deactivated, you can still detect it. So most likely someone had been in close proximity to the papaya when infected.

How long would the test result be known? Within mins/hrs or what!
Where would you accommodate those waiting for the result at the airport/port(arrival or departure)?

BTY, how accurate is the test?

Here you need to wait 4 days to get tested an 4 days to get a result. This means if you was ill, you are already healthy again when you get the result. :D
Pass the virus to others over the 4 days waiting period!
Get yourself infected while waiting for the result and then become a super spreader!
The virus keeps mutating and then become super lethal!

Anything is possible!!!!

Here another person who is writing that pcr has also a lot of disadvantages. And yes, this is 1 of the experts in my country.
Diederik Gommers herkent kritiek op gebruik PCR test: Flavio Pasquino en Mario Ortiz - YouTube in 2020 | Mario, Youtube, Energy drink can
You can find this in more videos and websites. To the test is absolutely not accurate. A lot of experts state till 30%, I have seen till 69% inaccurate. So the test says nothing about being infectious.

There is no risk to pass the virus in a waiting period. They ask you to stay home, but I know from people who don't do that. I agree with them,I would not stay at home at all. For me I would not let me test if I only get a cold or a fever. They are allowed to test me if I need hospitalised, not for just the same as a cold of an influenza. Then I will stay home and also no risk for others. Just like you normally also do. With a cold I do my normal things of course. I live in a village, so don't see a lot of people. But normally I go to office with a cold, now I will wait then, but we work from home now. But I will take care of my horse, and walk in the forest like I always do. I am not a person who goes to disco's or bars. So then no risk.

You have now people living in fear and people who want their normal lives back asap. It seems that people who have fear are allowed to humiliate and scold the people who are not afraid. This is really strange. Respect everybody. And if people don't have fear, they can save the economics. We have such a lot of backruptcies here and a lot of people lost their work. Also prices are rising like hell sometimes. This is worser than the risk of the virus on long term. Also the suicides and burnouts here are rising and a problem. And this is a bigger problem than the virus will ever be. I am afraid that travelling will be over soon, because that even if this is possible again that the prices are too high. Then more long term problems will come.
This is in my country already calculated, more deads because of secundairy things than ever will die due to the virus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom