Neoprene Neck Seal vs Silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I own a neo ds with a neo neck seal. When donning I have to really try hard to reach behind my neck to fold it in to create the seal. I usually have to get help, especially with thicker undergarments. No matter what I usually get damp around the neck, chest, and back area. I watch guys don the silicone seal and man I think that looks so much easier. No folding needed.

My neck seal also feels pretty tight, like for the 1st minute or 2 I'm telling myself it's ok, just breath, lol. At some point it does feel ok though and maybe I like being strangled a littleo_O:D...jk. Except for the 1st minute the dive goes fine, feels fine.

My question is, should I swap it out for a sitech silicone seal? Any pro's and cons out there? I know I'll probably get damp either way, that doesn't really bother me, but is this a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing or am I missing out?

I own a neo ds with a neo neck seal. When donning I have to really try hard to reach behind my neck to fold it in to create the seal. I usually have to get help, especially with thicker undergarments. No matter what I usually get damp around the neck, chest, and back area. I watch guys don the silicone seal and man I think that looks so much easier. No folding needed.

My neck seal also feels pretty tight, like for the 1st minute or 2 I'm telling myself it's ok, just breath, lol. At some point it does feel ok though and maybe I like being strangled a littleo_O:D...jk. Except for the 1st minute the dive goes fine, feels fine.

My question is, should I swap it out for a sitech silicone seal? Any pro's and cons out there? I know I'll probably get damp either way, that doesn't really bother me, but is this a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing or am I missing out?
In the meantime, just pre-fold the neck seal and hold it in place whilst pushing your head through. Works a dream, even with a long seal.

In the meantime, just pre-fold the neck seal and hold it in place whilst pushing your head through. Works a dream, even with a long seal.

Gosh....I don't think I've ever tried that, lol... It is a long seal, but I might be able to get that to work. That would solve that issue for sure.

Does anyone know how long neo neck seals last? I'm pretty careful with it, but just curious. Obviously if it rips there's my day and most likely at least week while I get parts and fix it.

Never tried a neoprene neck seal but I've used. latex and silicone seals with no major problems. My current suit has SiTech silicone seals all round with no leaks over four years of using the original seals.

Never had issues with a leaking silicone neck seal unlike a latex one that from what I've seen with my regular buddy has to replace on an annual basis.

Installing a quick neck system should be easier than the dry glove rings you’ve done. There are advantages to neoprene neck seals, like warmer simpler and if you have neoprene solvent with you instant repairs. The neck system is, in comparison bulky and stiff, in comparison. But being able to switch a damaged seal in a few minutes is nice and unlike glue a spare seal won’t be dried out just when you need it. Unless you mess up you won’t get damp with the silicone seal.

You may be ready to just go ahead and order a new Seaskin, take a look while shopping for the neck seal kit and spare seals.

Never tried a neoprene neck seal but I've used. latex and silicone seals with no major problems. My current suit has SiTech silicone seals all round with no leaks over four years of using the original seals.

Never had issues with a leaking silicone neck seal unlike a latex one that from what I've seen with my regular buddy has to replace on an annual basis.

Would never dream of installing latex...I think that would be moving backwards. I have ripped my new silicone seals already (I should have trimmed more...hot day, I just needed to get the suit OFF....pop goes the weasel!). I now dive without the seals and have enjoed it so far...I'll get new seals though. I like having the option of no glove / wet glove when it's warmer.

Installing a quick neck system should be easier than the dry glove rings you’ve done. There are advantages to neoprene neck seals, like warmer simpler and if you have neoprene solvent with you instant repairs. The neck system is, in comparison bulky and stiff, in comparison. But being able to switch a damaged seal in a few minutes is nice and unlike glue a spare seal won’t be dried out just when you need it. Unless you mess up you won’t get damp with the silicone seal.

You may be ready to just go ahead and order a new Seaskin, take a look while shopping for the neck seal kit and spare seals.

It looks easy enough.

I've thought about ordering a Seaskin...it'll happen at some point, but for now I'm having fun learning ds diving in a used suit that I can glue all kinds of things to. That and the fact a Seaskin (trilam) is an ~ $900 sledgehammer to fix a ~ $60 neck seal:)...would work great for sure though!

Edit: also, I'll admit, the dampness comes mostly when the suit burps underwater, which is on me and a skills problem...still getting used to the suit and ds diving in general.

Gosh....I don't think I've ever tried that, lol... It is a long seal, but I might be able to get that to work. That would solve that issue for sure.

Does anyone know how long neo neck seals last? I'm pretty careful with it, but just curious. Obviously if it rips there's my day and most likely at least week while I get parts and fix it.
Unlike latex, neoprene seals tend to give fair warning that they're on the way out. Great for work as they are unlikely to leave you in the lurch. My last few suits had about 300-400 dives each before deteriorating to the point of needing replacement.

Would never dream of installing latex...I think that would be moving backwards. I have ripped my new silicone seals already (I should have trimmed more...hot day, I just needed to get the suit OFF....pop goes the weasel!). I now dive without the seals and have enjoed it so far...I'll get new seals though. I like having the option of no glove / wet glove when it's warmer.

It looks easy enough.

I've thought about ordering a Seaskin...it'll happen at some point, but for now I'm having fun learning ds diving in a used suit that I can glue all kinds of things to. That and the fact a Seaskin (trilam) is an ~ $900 sledgehammer to fix a ~ $60 neck seal:)...would work great for sure though!

Edit: also, I'll admit, the dampness comes mostly when the suit burps underwater, which is on me and a skills problem...still getting used to the suit and ds diving in general.
A new neoprene suit is a lot cheaper in the long run, old neoprene will die at some point and the seams will start leaking, you’ll have a few months to keep using the old one.

I have an old pinnacle black ice with the neck rings installed, I’m tired of chasing down seam leaks and the zipper leaks we’ll pay shipping and I’ll send it to you to salvage the neck system if you want it.

Neoprene last longer, warmer than latex/ silicone. Easy to repair if torn( never happened to me over many years) with neoprene cement.

I have neoprene, much easier to put on, last heaps longer, but yes, they leak a little. The neck seal is hard to roll behind the neck. Despite all this, they are way better overall than latex/silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom