Thoughts on how many years we should expect our dive computers to function properly.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one works, little more the electric tables.
BD903AB4-3E5D-4842-A046-40EC3682E54E.jpeg

This one doesn’t AI but only a little more useful than the skinny dipper.
2E5372E8-1517-477D-A79B-21DCCA5013E4.jpeg

This one works, little more the electric tables.
View attachment 603683
This one doesn’t AI but only a little more useful than the skinny dipper.
View attachment 603685

Oh man! I still have a skinny dipper as my backup, I sling it in a pouch on the back of my rig near the tank, I never remove it. Helped me more than once when the Cobra acted up and I didn't need to wait to continue my dives. Getting a bit harder to find the Varta batteries over here.

Bought mine in the early 80's I think, not really sure anymore.

Yep, another Skinny Dipper Mk II owner here. '89 purchase it still hums right along with my VEO 3.0.

I put them to rest in an quiet, shady spot in my junk drawer.

Oh man, the old electronic graveyard. Mines right next to my bed.

Some of you have computers almost as old as me....:D. I think you got your money's worth! I think you deserve an upgrade.

If you are getting 10+ years out of your dive computer then that is amazing. Considering the extreme harsh environment I would be happy to get 5 years of regular use out of a dive computer and would consider that good value.

Mares puck pro lasted 7 dives and toast ( never buy again)
Wife’s Suunto zoop 130 dives 7 years still going strong

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. I'm quite happy with the Mares Puck Pro. Both the wife and I use them quite frequently. Soak them in fresh water after a day of diving and try not to press the buttons too much while underwater. Considering the environment it's actually quite an amazing dive computer for so little money. (I don't have any relationship with Mares, just a happy customer).

I recently did a 90m dive with a aladin thats older then me as a bottom timer.

Dive computers are examples of just how good electronics can be made in my opinion. I've never had one go belly up. I've always sold my older ones to buy new ones. Age has been 5-8 years old when sold. None of them ever died or even had issues before I sold them. So far I've owned and then sold an Aeris Atmos 2, Dive Rite Nitek Duo and 2 Shearwater Petrel 1s.

Granted dive computers are not cheap but compared to how they are used I think they are quite impressive!

I have a 1992 Uwatec Aladin Pro that still works, another one from maybe 1996 or so. I have a few others that would work but they need (expensive) batteries. No way would I still use except in an emergency, dive computers have come a long way since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom