Ortelius North Spitsbergen - 'Basecamp' ❗

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebooker.com

Contributor
Reaction score
How many dives are typically done during an excursion?
Hi!
The fleet is aiming at 1-2 different dives per day (1x morning and 1x afternoon). Still this activity depends on local ice and weather conditions.
These voyages are not for beginners, you’ll have to be a very experienced diver and must be familiar with cold water diving and dry suit diving (at least 30 dives).
The maximum depth divers will be allowed to dive is 20 meter/ 60 feet.
The polar diving activity is guided by 1 dive master and 2 dive guides who are highly qualified and experienced experts in their field. The main language of the dive operation will be in English unless otherwise stated. There will be 8 divers per dive guide.

at 8 divers per guide, coupled with max depth of 20M (@67'), it doesn't sound like anything experienced divers would be excited to do. I'm afraid that you will end up having to look harder for customers to fill all 24 diving slots on the boat.
A luxury cattle boat is still a cattle boat.

Michael

Experience on these trips is not a measure of how deep you go. On the Polar trips on the Ortelius and the Plancius operated by this fleet, safety is foremost and as noted by divebooker, "experienced" means cold water dives and drysuit dives, not how deep you can go. I personally have 500 dives but none of them in a dry suit or in cold water so although I might consider myself experienced based on dives and certs, I would not qualify for these expeditions...plus I am a warm water wuss.

We do offer discounted expeditions on both the Ortelius and the Plancius.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion!
But if your opinion is based on how much money you can make selling it, what is it worth to us?

Michael

Michael, all I was suggesting is that in this case "experience" may have a different interpretation. That has nothing to do with any income I make in the travel business. There are a number of resorts and liveaboards I could offer but do not because I do not believe they offer good value to my clients.

Back
Top Bottom