Undergarments for the short term?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting a Drysuit from DRIS and also getting one of the upgraded warranties. With that undergarments are going to be tough. Other than merino, what else can I use to get me through a month or so till I can afford purpose undergarments?

mom in Kentucky and only plan one or two dives in the 45 degree range.

Since no one else replied . . . I bought a drysuit in March (also from DRIS) and have liked it a lot. If it is a membrane suit (bilam or trilam) the undergarment purchase is probably just as important as the drysuit purchase, which is something I didn't really think about at first. However, for my first several dives in roughly 43-46F water, I got by with Cabela's mid-weight long underwear and a random assortment of sweats. As everyone will tell you, cotton does not do well when wet. If everything stayed reasonably dry, the sweats worked alright, but not ideal. Make sure you figure out weighting in a relatively shallow and safe environment, since different undergarments can affect buoyancy a lot.

Anyway, we eventually bought the 4th element Arctic undergarments, and the 4th element vest (x-core) for really cold water. I , wear the Cabela's long underwear under the Arctics. Those have worked much better. I also think DRIS has some house brand undergarments that are a little cheaper and probably made out of similar material. SEAC has a cheap -- but very thin -- set of undergarments. Of course, if you are not diving really cold water, you might not need as much.

You might get more replies in the equipment section (exposure suits).

Multiple layers of polypro base layer and thicker merino wool might work, but it depends on your cold tolerance. A poly fleece pullover without a zip neck would do in a pinch as would poly fleece sweats. No ideal, but temporary. 2 pairs of heavy wool socks.

Avoid cotton, mother natures death fabric.

wicking undies.
Poly fleece outer. I probably have a couple old fleece hoodies that I could butcher the hood off of.
I've known people to use a fleece onsie, lounge suit. Pretty cheap on Amazon. It will get you through cool water and short dives.

Just get some wool socks.

Why not cotton?
For the same reason a down vest would be a bad idea in that environment. It absorbs and retains moisture, diminishing it's value as an insulator.

I am getting a Drysuit from DRIS and also getting one of the upgraded warranties. With that undergarments are going to be tough. Other than merino, what else can I use to get me through a month or so till I can afford purpose undergarments?

mom in Kentucky and only plan one or two dives in the 45 degree range.

Would help to know what type of suit? Trilam or neoprene? I'm assuming trilam.

When I started diving a ds I asked the same question and was told stay away from cotton and bundle up like you're going out in the snow.

Fast forward and I did pick up a set of forth element arctics. Hands down one of the best investments I've made.

Good luck and have fun!!!

And there WILL be moisture inside the suit. You perspire inside a sealed bag. The bag is cold. As that moisture works toward the suit it will condense. A good undergarment system will pull the moisture away from you and keep it against the suit, preserving the insulation in the middle.

Cotton soaks up that water making itself thermally conductive. Conducting heat from your body straight to the suit.

Cotton works outside as it can breath. The lack of breathing is the problem with cotton. And that is what you have inside a drysuit.

If you have a 3 or 5 mil 1 piece it will work for a month

Back
Top Bottom