USVI Dive Vacation - what do we need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I defer to residents but, sadly, when we went in April 2017, nearly all the elk horn corals in Isaacs Bay had died from bleaching and there was little life. On the other hand, the diving at the Pier was fantastic. The Cane Bay diving was good but not great the day I dove there, and the in shore snorkeling was really only ok. FWIW YMMV

We have visited St. Croix twice....once before diving certification and once since. We love the island. However, it was a long time ago that we dove there. Thinking about going back in November. What is the condition of the hard coral? Just got back from Grand Turk and all the brain coral were dead. So depressing.
The coral is in good condition. There is a coral disease going around the Caribbean and is becoming more prevalent in St. Thomas, but has only been seen once here from what I’ve read. Some shallower areas may have residual damage from Hurricane Maria, but I really don’t notice it. Overall it’s healthier than other places I’ve recently dived (e.g. Bahamas).

My friend and I went to St. Croix an few years ago and want to go back. We were actually on a live aboard boat but we ended up going back to the pier at least 3 times to dive there it was so great.
We are looking to go back sometime this summer - I read somewhere that between March and July had the best weather there and that the diving was good year round. mwall04, is this true?
Also, does anyone have recommendations of places to stay that would be inexpensive? I know a lot of times there are places that aren't on the internet and one doesn't know about them until they get there! We'd want a place that has 2 beds.
We'd want to dive of course but also want to be closer to where we could maybe walk to night life stuff too!
A few folks I know have recommended N2theblu dive op but for some reason I can't get onto their website to get prices for boat dives.
I'd love to hear any and all suggestions!

IIRC, N2theBlue came under new ownership. Until someone else with more current info. answers, I can say years ago the Inn on Strand Street had a rep. as a budget option. It's in Frederiksted, and also IIRC, not terrible far from Frederkisted Pier (my little crew walked past it on our way to the pier).

Was there a few years ago, and some things have changed.

Richard.

The weather is fairly consistent year round. Our my last dive several weeks ago, the water temperature was 84. My dives in the winter were around 78-79 in the water in February. Air temps are in the 70-80's in the winter and 80-90's in the summer.

I don't have a lot of experience in places to stay on the west end near the pier, but do look for rental homes and condos. AirBnB, VRBO, etc. are big here. With tourism heavily impacted by COVID, I'm sure you can find some deals.

A few folks I know have recommended N2theblu dive op

N2theBlue is now Nep2une Scuba Diving - basically a name change - same great people who ran N2theBlue.

Nep2une Scuba – Small Group Diving At Its Best

I read somewhere that between March and July had the best weather

I've been in March, April, June, July, November, and December. June/July are going to be hot, but generally in the mid to high 80's year round. Water temp doesn't vary too much. I would say that diving is good year round, but I can attest to diving being good in all of the months I've been there!

want to be closer to where we could maybe walk to night life stuff too!

Fredericksted on the west side, IMO, is the better side for diving - pier, wrecks, reef, calm water, and Nep2une Scuba is a few steps from the pier. Not really a night life to walk to. There are restaurants/beach bars in town and along the coast and trivia night (if one of the bars still has it.) Don't expect a real party atmosphere unless you're bringing the party.

Christiansted, on the north side, has a nice boardwalk with restaurants/bars along it. Still, don't expect a party atmosphere unless there is something special going on, such as Carnival or the Christmas Boat Parade. There will be more people here just because this is where the shops are, but night life is pretty dull. Diving on the north side is different than the west side - water can be a little rougher (at least in June) but there is interesting topography.

If the link works, you can see a part of the boardwalk looking across the water to Hotel on the Cay.
Official Page for Live St. Croix Web Cam | GoToStCroix.com

The Pink Condos (can find on FaceBook) are on the west side about a 10 minute walk from Frederiksted and a couple of beach bars if they are still open. The condos provide your own private snorkeling area and a great view of sunset.

IIRC, N2theBlue came under new ownership. Until someone else with more current info. answers, I can say years ago the Inn on Strand Street had a rep. as a budget option. It's in Frederiksted, and also IIRC, not terrible far from Frederkisted Pier (my little crew walked past it on our way to the pier).

Was there a few years ago, and some things have changed.

Richard.

Ah yes, I remember seeing Inn on Strand St. - another one I've been looking at is Cottages by the Sea. Alos, been looking at Airbnb. What does IIRC stand for ?

The weather is fairly consistent year round. Our my last dive several weeks ago, the water temperature was 84. My dives in the winter were around 78-79 in the water in February. Air temps are in the 70-80's in the winter and 80-90's in the summer.

I don't have a lot of experience in places to stay on the west end near the pier, but do look for rental homes and condos. AirBnB, VRBO, etc. are big here. With tourism heavily impacted by COVID, I'm sure you can find some deals.

I have been looking through what is available on Airbnb- Guess i should look at VRBO too!
I know it will be hotter in June and July but that is probably going to be when my friend can go.

N2theBlue is now Nep2une Scuba Diving - basically a name change - same great people who ran N2theBlue.

Nep2une Scuba – Small Group Diving At Its Best

I've been in March, April, June, July, November, and December. June/July are going to be hot, but generally in the mid to high 80's year round. Water temp doesn't vary too much. I would say that diving is good year round, but I can attest to diving being good in all of the months I've been there!

Fredericksted on the west side, IMO, is the better side for diving - pier, wrecks, reef, calm water, and Nep2une Scuba is a few steps from the pier. Not really a night life to walk to. There are restaurants/beach bars in town and along the coast and trivia night (if one of the bars still has it.) Don't expect a real party atmosphere unless you're bringing the party.

Christiansted, on the north side, has a nice boardwalk with restaurants/bars along it. Still, don't expect a party atmosphere unless there is something special going on, such as Carnival or the Christmas Boat Parade. There will be more people here just because this is where the shops are, but night life is pretty dull. Diving on the north side is different than the west side - water can be a little rougher (at least in June) but there is interesting topography.

If the link works, you can see a part of the boardwalk looking across the water to Hotel on the Cay.
Official Page for Live St. Croix Web Cam | GoToStCroix.com

The Pink Condos (can find on FaceBook) are on the west side about a 10 minute walk from Frederiksted and a couple of beach bars if they are still open. The condos provide your own private snorkeling area and a great view of sunset.

I'm thinking that if we stay on the West End near the Pier and then rent a car to go over to Christiansted, that might be the way to go.
I've pulled the Pink Condos up on the internet but don't quite know how to go about finding which ones are for rent for a week.

What does IIRC stand for ?
If I Recall Correctly. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of changing housing locations on trips under a week, but you could split your trip between Christiansted and Frederiksted. I really liked the waterfront boardwalk setting of coastal Christiansted, and it's closer to Cane Bay and Davis Bay if you care to try a little shore diving (albeit with lengthy swim outs, especially at Cane Bay).

I only did 2 boat and 1 shore (at the pier) dive at a Frederiksted, to take this with a grain of salt...I'm under the impression the reef sharks are a more common sight diving off the north coast. And saw some diving there.

People vary in where they're at in their diving; some are thrilled to see reef sharks, and some may ask 'Got anything bigger?'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom