Hi from Barrie, Ontario Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.
brand new guppy here. My wife and I completed the PADI open water diver course and dives a few weeks ago and are currently working on our advanced open water diver and our enhanced air.
starting this journey later in life, but aim to have fun, starting with looking at all the gear!

Hello all.
brand new guppy here. My wife and I completed the PADI open water diver course and dives a few weeks ago and are currently working on our advanced open water diver and our enhanced air.
starting this journey later in life, but aim to have fun, starting with looking at all the gear!
Welcome, Mike. There is oodles of knowledge here, hope you stay a while.

Welcome @Mike Meechan to ScubaBoard. Congratulations on getting certified.

Welcome from N.S. Do you plan any dives in L. Simcoe or Georgian Bay? Wonder what opportunities are there?

Welcome from N.S. Do you plan any dives in L. Simcoe or Georgian Bay? Wonder what opportunities are there?
I did the 4 Open water dives in Georgian bay. We were supposed to go on a 3 tank dive of 5 shallow wrecks 2 weekends ago, but weather didn't cooperate and it was cancelled. :( There are wrecks all over up here and Fathom Five park in Tobermory is only about 3 hours away, and has spectacular diving.

I live about 10 min away from lake Simcoe, and there is a wreck called the JC Morrison just off the main beach. It was a steam paddle wheeler that caught fire at dock back in 1857 and they pushed it out into the lake so it didn't set fire to anything else.
Starting to get colder here though and am still picking up gear. Might not get any open water dives till spring. The local dive shop has dates all winter to practice in a 10' pool though, so I guess that is better than doing nothing until May/June.
Once this Covid stuff is done, going south in winter and diving somewhere prettier is on the list.

Nova Scotia must afford some nice dive spots.

I did the 4 Open water dives in Georgian bay. We were supposed to go on a 3 tank dive of 5 shallow wrecks 2 weekends ago, but weather didn't cooperate and it was cancelled. :( There are wrecks all over up here and Fathom Five park in Tobermory is only about 3 hours away, and has spectacular diving.

I live about 10 min away from lake Simcoe, and there is a wreck called the JC Morrison just off the main beach. It was a steam paddle wheeler that caught fire at dock back in 1857 and they pushed it out into the lake so it didn't set fire to anything else.
Starting to get colder here though and am still picking up gear. Might not get any open water dives till spring. The local dive shop has dates all winter to practice in a 10' pool though, so I guess that is better than doing nothing until May/June.
Once this Covid stuff is done, going south in winter and diving somewhere prettier is on the list.

Nova Scotia must afford some nice dive spots.
Yeah, NS is OK. Not as good by far as BC, so I read. For years we "snowbirded" 2-3 months on the FL panhandle (Destin). A month in a condo cost about $1,500 US, which is about the weekly rate come April. Charters go out maybe once/twice a month if enough divers sign up. Some good boat diving out of Pensacola & Panama City as well. Weather is comparable to our May weather. I try to dive all year wet here, but starting Nov. just one 20 min. dive in a day. You may consider that on Georgian Bay (if unfrozen), and it is good for you logistically.

Yeah, NS is OK. Not as good by far as BC, so I read. For years we "snowbirded" 2-3 months on the FL panhandle (Destin). A month in a condo cost about $1,500 US, which is about the weekly rate come April. Charters go out maybe once/twice a month if enough divers sign up. Some good boat diving out of Pensacola & Panama City as well. Weather is comparable to our May weather. I try to dive all year wet here, but starting Nov. just one 20 min. dive in a day. You may consider that on Georgian Bay (if unfrozen), and it is good for you logistically.
I think I'd have to invest in a dry suit and get a little bit more experience beneath my belt first

Welcome from just west of the GTHA (KW/Cambridge/Guelph area).

There is a LOT of knowledge here on the board and some very definite biases. People mean well and are genuinely trying to help, but sometimes you have to take things with a grain of salt.

I am not familiar with the dive shops in Barrie other than the one just off the 400 at Mapleview Dr, but IIRC, there is a very good shop in Bracebridge. (The advantage of going to the shop in Bracebridge is that you can stop at Webers for a burger.)

Anyway, welcome to Scubaboard.

Back
Top Bottom