How do I juggle my computer, a camera, and a light with two hands ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Carrig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Probably an awfully dumb question, but..

II'll be diving inside structures ( 727 airplane, school bus, quarry processing buildings) and want to take some some hand held video of the adventure.

It gets darker inside these at depth, with limited visibility so a light is a very good thing.

So here's the quandry, I'm left handed, I wear my dive computer on my left wrist.

The camera is on a Go Pro "the Handler" so its close and easy point and shoot. With my left hand.

I generally use my light with my left hand.

The question is, how does one juggle all of that ? Video, illumination, and most importantly always peeping at the computer ?

I told you it was a dumb question !

Let me guess - Mermet?

And if it's sunny out, it's not as dark as you'd think. I've seen some people attach a light right under their GoPro.

What computer do you have? Is it backlit?

I'd suggest doing diving withOUT the camera. Enough people have dived Mermet that there's plenty of video on YouTube to show your non-diving friends.

And to be frank, if your dive count is accurate, I don't think you really belong inside that plane or the school bus without more dives under your belt. Others will disagree with me.

ETA: and if this is Mermet, look for Charlie, the 5-6ft catfish about 80-100 lbs.

If you are concerned about how handle all of these items I would suggest leaving the camera behind especially if your dive count is correct. Enjoy the dive without the additional task loading. Those attractions will be there for years to come and you can always revisit them with a camera.

Add a flag for drift diving...
And a gun and stringer. :)

Mark, eventually the computer will be less of a task with experience. I am in the mask mount camp for action cameras. I like to enjoy the dive without focusing on what the camera is capturing. Many say they make the video shaky, which is true but I find most clips of interesting shots are only several seconds and then cut to the next clip. If you're sharing long videos of your dives I can assure you no one is watching them. Short clips eliminate unstable video. That said, if you want to use a selfie stick or camera tray just attach a bolt snap and clip it off when not in use.

With experience and dedication you'll find multi tasking while diving is no different than being on land. Getting good with snaps and blindly clipping things off will make a world of difference in proficiency. Just remember to not get frustrated if something is giving you a hard time.

Let me guess - Mermet?

And if it's sunny out, it's not as dark as you'd think. I've seen some people attach a light right under their GoPro.

What computer do you have? Is it backlit?

I'd suggest doing one dive WITHOUT the light.

And to be frank, if your dive count is accurate, I don't think you really belong inside that plane or the school bus without more dives under your belt. Others will disagree with me.

ETA: and if this is Mermet, look for Charlie, the 5-6ft catfish about 80-100 lbs.

Hi Marie !

Yes, It's Mermet.

I've not kept up with my dive count here yet, but need to, its very off.

I've got three weekend quarry dives in three different locations so am comfortable in that scenerio.

Mermet - (Love that place, its like a "Miniature golf course ! As to the 727, I got down to the cockpit windows and the temp was 57, even with a 5 mm sut and gloves and hood, it was time to get a bit warmer. I'll get down to the nose next time !)

Martha's Quarry - Mt Juieltt TN (This has in addition to the usual boats and light plane, 4 buildings, two -one story pump houses, a three story mechanical building and the four story processing building. Going thru these was absolutly wonderful, and a light certainly would help. Very primitive though, but so well worth it.

Blue Water Park, Pelham AL - Lots of fish, basic ammenities, and that walk to the water...

But yeah, I made it a point to do all of these paying attention and have absolutly no added distractions.

Its time to capture a bit of this.

And a gun and stringer. :)

Mark, eventually the computer will be less of a task with experience. I am in the mask mount camp for action cameras. I like to enjoy the dive without focusing on what the camera is capturing. Many say they make the video shaky, which is true but I find most clips of interesting shots are only several seconds and then cut to the next clip. If you're sharing long videos of your dives I can assure you no one is watching them. Short clips eliminate unstable video. That said, if you want to use a selfie stick or camera tray just attach a bolt snap and clip it off when not in use.

With experience and dedication you'll find multi tasking while diving is no different than being on land. Getting good with snaps and blindly clipping things off will make a world of difference in proficiency. Just remember to not get frustrated if something is giving you a hard time.

Very good advice. Keep it simple.

Get a flexi handle. On one end attach the gopro, on the other a light. Hold the handle vertically and aim.

I use a stroller bag caribiner with the velcro loop thingy around the handle and when not in use or for exit I just clip to my waste belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom