Impossible to read tank markings - PST HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar issue and used yellow construction crayon on over the markings and wiped with a rag. You could not read them before I did that.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 107
I just finished cleaning the old paint off the tank.

The coloration is all over the place - dark spots, shiny spots, grey spots. It's not a pretty tank but who cares. After it's been re-hydro'd, I plan to respray it with cold galvanizing paint so it's more uniform and protected.

I used Jasco Premium to remove most of the paint, Mineral Spirits to remove the residue, and a nylon wire disk to clean up most of the leftover bits of paint (there's still plenty). The markings are more visible but still hard to read. I still can't read the working pressure but it's there. I'm going to go over it with a marker so there's no mistake about the serial number and working pressure.

I wonder if the shop would re-strike the number or is that illegal and only the mfg could do that?
Overstriking any of the markings is cause to condemn the tank.

Remove the loose paint and accretion (the white mineral build up) with a wire wheel as others have advised and call it good. Repainting is just going to lead to more headaches down the road.

If the cosmetic condition bothers you, sell the tank and buy another.

No, the hydro facility can not re-strike the DOT markings. When we see this we automatically condemn the cylinder. BTW cold galvanized coating works great.

3AA 2400 is one of them? Definitely 3442 on the other? Not seeing the 3500? Very curious to see what the inside of the tank looks like? Must check the steel alloy chart too. Make sure it isn't condemned by law. IMHO. When was the last VIP?

3AA 2400 is one of them? Definitely 3442 on the other? Not seeing the 3500? Very curious to see what the inside of the tank looks like? Must check the steel alloy chart too. Make sure it isn't condemned by law. IMHO. When was the last VIP?

What steel alloy is "condemned by law"

The only steel tanks which are not fillable are exemption series tanks where the manufacturer didnt renew the exemption. Norris got into the E series tank business for a couple years and those are now all dead. But that is not related to the steel used.

Back
Top Bottom