Backplate Pad w/ Weight Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever used a OMS Backplate Pad w/ Weight Pockets on a plate not made by OMS?

OMS Plates look the same as Dive RIte, HOG and many others. Am I wrong?

I like the Pad having the Weight pockets built in.

Thanks,

I’m giving one a shot on my BP setup. Currently have an Apex plate. Haven’t had a chance to dive it yet (broke my hand so no diving til the doc says go) but strung up ok.

Not sold on it though - I think that it will take 4-6 pounds to sink the pad, so I may remove it or modify to remove the ‘pad’ portion.
Have you tried it yet?

If you’re only going to put a couple pounds in the pockets to serve as trim weights...I don’t see a problem. That being said...that pad is going to be fairly positively buoyant, so you’re likely going to have to add 4+ lbs just to offset the pad.

That’s not getting into the thought that adding 12lbs (maxing out all four pockets) to somewhere you can’t readily access during a dive (if necessary) isn’t a good idea. Why not just get a regular/metal BP?

I’m giving one a shot on my BP setup. Currently have an Apex plate. Haven’t had a chance to dive it yet (broke my hand so no diving til the doc says go) but strung up ok.

Not sold on it though - I think that it will take 4-6 pounds to sink the pad, so I may remove it or modify to remove the ‘pad’ portion.
Have you tried it yet?

That’s the main reason that I removed all of the padding from my HOG BP setup. Anything padded (ex. BP, shoulder pads, etc.) is positively buoyant and requires weight to sink it. Even my 10lb HOG pouches were positive.

Most of my dives are shore dives with a ~100’ walk to get to the water. The “comfort” issue with a metal BP that people use to justify a soft plate is a non-issue. All using a soft BP does for you is make it necessary to carry more lead.

Have you tried it yet?

I am sitting in the same boat, came back from Diving in NY, broke my foot and not had a chance to dive this yet either... and most my future diving are doing to be on doubles for my Caves course. Please post up, if you get to use it. and Thanks......

If you’re only going to put a couple pounds in the pockets to serve as trim weights...I don’t see a problem. That being said...that pad is going to be fairly positively buoyant, so you’re likely going to have to add 4+ lbs just to offset the pad.

That’s not getting into the thought that adding 12lbs (maxing out all four pockets) to somewhere you can’t readily access during a dive (if necessary) isn’t a good idea. Why not just get a regular/metal BP?

That’s the main reason that I removed all of the padding from my HOG BP setup. Anything padded (ex. BP, shoulder pads, etc.) is positively buoyant and requires weight to sink it. Even my 10lb HOG pouches were positive.

Most of my dives are shore dives with a ~100’ walk to get to the water. The “comfort” issue with a metal BP that people use to justify a soft plate is a non-issue. All using a soft BP does for you is make it necessary to carry more lead.

Weight is not an issue for me. I was in NY, over the summer diving the St Lawrence, in a 7mm Bare, 6.5 MM Boots, 5mm Hood and gloves, using a steel 100. I only needed 6lbs to drop, and I was still heavy. Silly dive partners and the DM sucked in the gas, so I never broke 1400 lbs. to get a full. Generally I dive FL Eastern Coast, NO Wetsuit required. 2mm shorty and AL80, I sink.

Just looking for something to balance me out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom