Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pressure to go is coming from her.

Time for you to show tough love. I just (this past week) lost two first-cousins to Covid. One (74) was vented for 6 weeks; Ended up with a tracheostomy and dialysis. The other was 57 and took a week from diagnosis to death.

Wife and I had no effects after our August visit...we ate out each night and wore masks where and when appropriate.

We are booked for the December too.

Hey there are no guarantees in life...either you stay home, or chance it...there's no in between

Personally I wouldn’t take my 92 yr old mother to the supermarket let alone on two flights and a vacation to Mexico.
Everyone has to make their own assessments and decisions, but I'm in that camp. I've hidden at home mostly since March and encouraged other family members to do that as much as possible, but results have varied. Some have allowed exposures that I didn't like, but all I can do is suggest safer actions. I do weekly shopping runs for my brother's household of three higher-risk members in support of keeping them isolated. They get out at times for multiple doctors' visits, daily hyperbaric treatments 70 miles away, etc., but I make sure I don't contribute to their exposures.

The pressure to go is coming from her.
When my elderly dad was homebound after breaking a hip, we took turns driving him around at times. He never asked anyone to go anywhere unreasonable or let him get out anywhere risky until his younger cousin took a turn. He had her drive to a cattle auction he used frequent on sale day, told her to wait for him while he went inside alone to say howdy, entered the sale barn without his walker, fell and broke the other hip. I asked him later how he liked the helicopter ride.

Then he died. He was going to die someday, but I made sure I didn't help hasten it.

Personally I wouldn’t take my 92 yr old mother to the supermarket let alone on two flights and a vacation to Mexico. Talk about co-morbidity.
Glad my mom is only 91. I don't take her to the supermarket. She drives herself.

Time for you to show tough love. I just (this past week) lost two first-cousins to Covid. One (74) was vented for 6 weeks; Ended up with a tracheostomy and dialysis. The other was 57 and took a week from diagnosis to death.
How did they get it?

Does anyone here know, or know of, anyone who has gotten COVID-19 from visiting Cozumel or from flying?

I know of no one but have heard of five people returning to Canada via Cancun that tested positive upon returning to Canada.

Incredibly tough decision

How did they get it?

Sadly, neither has a 100% vector. We just don’t know. No parties or irresponsible behaviour by either.

Reactions: BRT
I'll let you know if I become symptomatic in the next 13 days, but I've been ok after a trip last month and this one............... but it will be interesting to see if anyone on this site reports getting COVID, related to a trip to Cozumel or after traveling by air

You and me both. One trip in July (by air, American), and one trip this month (also by air, also American). On the island for 3 weeks in July, almost two weeks in September, and we went out walking the town and out to dinner every night. No symptoms, and no sickness, and that includes my wife, my brother, my sister-in-law, and both of my daughters and their families, total of 10 people, spread out in age from 8 to 62. As has been noted in this thread several times, stay away from the all night poker parties, avoid the temptation of multiple lap dances, wear a mask when you're out, and exercise a little common sense - you should be fine.

I just got back from the Red Sea. Arrived at Toronto from Hurghadha via Cairo. swab test with results back in under 12 hours after luggage pickup in Pearson airport. I knew I was clear before I went to bed. The test took 8 minutes, I was out of the airport immediately and notified by SMS/Email that evening. They also send you home with a swab test for day 7 and 14 of quarantine.

Sadly, neither has a 100% vector. We just don’t know. No parties or irresponsible behaviour by either.

You're advising against travel because some relatives who didn't travel fell victim. I think we made the *assumption* that travel was high risk but the accounts here and elsewhere are not reflecting that. We all want to be safe, we just still don't know what is safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom